Monday 16 April 2012

WILD WEST VIEW (Part 2)

A week or so ago I mentioned that I got lost on my walk through Western Springs. See:

HERE

Tonight I went to the Springs again, this time taking the longer road route down and across the parks, around the lakes to the track which goes up behind the zoo to take me back home.

When I got to the path that leads to the bridge which crosses a stream to the start the bush track I found that it was blocked by temporary fencing because there was some pipework being done along the stream bank.
Undeterred I climbed over the 10ft fence and jumped down to the stream bank and made my way to the bridge. It was blocked with the same kind of fencing (Fahey fencing) but the swines had put sharp protruding wire at the top so that if I had climbed up and over I would have likely disemboweled my self and would have been left hanging like that police inspector in Hannibal.


They had put the same high fencing along each side of the bridge with sharp points at the top. There was a fair drop down to the stream but it didn't look life-threatening. If I fell it would be more like bruising (ego and otherwise) and getting wet. I decided to give it a go. I grabbed the netting below the sharp points at the top and took my weight on my fingers, looking for toeholds in the netting that stretched down below the bridge. At school I used to be pretty good on gymnastic-type equipment, doing chin-ups and stuff.


About halfway along the bridge it occurred to me that I am a bit heavier than when I was 17 - by a factor of about 50% more. With no footholds to be found I was taking my weight on my fingers which seemed to be cut into by the wire netting. The only thing to do was to move as quick as I could. I crabbed/shuffled rather inelegantly to the other side, dropping down to the bank and rubbing my fingers. Having made it to where I wanted to be I headed up the bush track to home.

I wonder what will happen the third time I do my Western Springs walk.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

It's unfair of you to make us wait for part 3 of this thrilling zzzzzzzzzzz

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

"I wonder what will happen the third time I do my Western Springs walk. "

Probably end up in the Mt. Eden Corrections Facility