Sunday 17 August 2008

TIDDLYWINKS GOLD MEDAL


I love the Olympics and ever since I was a kid have looked forward to the 2 week spectacle. I take as much time as I can to watch all sorts of events (but of course especially the ones New Zealand is involved in - I am so proud to see us at number 15 on the medal tally ahead of so many other countries).
Its a great feeling being a mixture of nostalgia and excitement and unnusual in that we are exposed to so much sport on TV nowadays its a wonder at all that the Olympics can command so much respect and attention.
I find it a shame though that the great ideals are being diluted by the inclusion of sports and so-called sports that in my my don't meet the criteria. It used to be tennis and soccor that I thought don't need to be included. Now it is white water kayaking, handball, beach volleyball, trampoline and other weird and unnusual events.
What's next? Tiddlywinks, darts, snooker or that old University games event to 'chunder mile' running, drinking and pie eating event.

8 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Busking?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes busking possibly but made a bit more dynamic by combining it with archery.
The buskers could be the targets

1 said...

Mr Curmudgeon, I just had to seek out your site to discus something very important with you.
You seem very grumpy and emit an aura of unhappiness and dissatisfaction that has an unsettling effect on those around you.
Without resorting to stereotypes what I think you need is a good...
loving relationship (within the confines of Holy Matrimony of course). I can introduce you to many good single Christian women who have been saving themselves for a good Christian man.
I will pray that you find the solution

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hey, morality guy, I think the curmudgeon is an old homo. Better change the advice slightly.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Richard Prowse said:

"Hey, morality guy, I think the curmudgeon is an old homo. "

Richard, I think you suffer from Egodystonic Homophobia.

Richard (of RBB) said...

You're just guessing!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Anyway, big words are usually opted for when the author really has nothing substantial to say!

Anonymous said...

If we can have the para Olympics and winter olympics I see no reason we can not organise the table top games olympics!