Monday 6 December 2010

OUTSPOKEN

There is a lot of debate at the moment about cyclists rights to the road and the aggressive attitude of New Zealand drivers towards them. Well New Zealand drivers have always been inconsiderate towards cyclists. I was knocked off my bike and hospitalised when I was 11. I was also run over by a cyclist when I was about 8 so I guess it balances it out.

 I rode a bike to school and had a few near misses. The first dead person I saw was a 4th former named Tony Gilligan when I was in the third form. The priests at St Pat's decided to put him in an open coffin in the second floor chapel (how they got it there I don't know) and it was compulsory for everyone to file past and look at him. Great experience for impressionable young minds I'm sure. Gilligan was killed while riding his bike on the Hutt main road (now Motorway). I rode a 10-speed to University and weaved in and out of traffic. I don't know how I survived. When I went to Auckland from Wellington in the '80's traffic was heavier and it was becoming too dangerous to ride. A burglar stole it anyway so that put paid to that. Following the debate on television there are several parts to the argument. Cyclists want proper cycle lanes on all roads and for these to be maintained properly. There is some merit to this but it is very impractical. For one thing who is going to pay for this? Motorists? Another problem is that most of the roads in this country are too narrow and unsafe for motorists let alone trying to narrow the motoring lanes down to allow for cycle lanes. Cyclists also want to ride on roads that have higher than 50KM limits. This is just plain stupid given the fragility of cycles and the fact that they cannot go at decent speeds. Traffic will become bogged down Motorists object to cyclists cluster-riding and holding up traffic. Cluster- riding I agree should not be allowed but, in 50KM areas motorists could be a little more tolerant. My main objection to cyclists however hasn't come up in the debate and this is my dislike of the ridiculus fluoro-outfits they wear that have all sorts of wanky brand names on them. What are they thinking?

5 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Nice post TC. I used to use a bike a lot when I was a kid in Scotland, and again when I went back to University in the 90s. I didn't feel too threatened, but I agree with you that the NZ roads are mostly too narrow to make bike-only lanes.
As regards the cycling apparel, it's not the fluorescent colours or the brand names, it's the LYCRA. Some bodies are not meant to wear skin-tight clothing.
It's very brave of you to put your own picture wearing cycling gear on your post. Well done.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I remember seeing Tony Gilligan too, and not sleeping that night - I thought he was in a car crash.
I'm not a great fan of cyclists. It's their attitude,
"Look at me getting all fit, aren't I wonderful! Hey get that smelly car off this road!"
I love how they barge in front of cars. Self centered pricks!
Yes, and then there is the lycra...

Anonymous said...

1. What's lycra?
2. Motorists need to educated about safety to the same high level as truck drivers.
3. All road users are equal! Size of the bicycle or car shouldn't matter.
4. Penalties for careless use of a motor vehicle should be on a par with fire arms.
5. A good start to more cycle friendly streets would be to remove those concrete obstructions around pedestrian crossing.
6. Make it legal for adults to ride on foot paths.

Second

Richard (of RBB) said...

"Motorists need to educated about safety to the same high level as truck drivers."
Come on, truck drivers are morons!

If God had meant dickwits to ride bikes and get in the way, why did he create trains?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Second, are you advocating that cyclists should take over pedestrian walkways now. Where the hell are the pedestrians going to go?
The concrete obstructions around pedestrian crossings are to stop cars running over pedestrians.
I get pissed off with cyclists (children or adults) riding on footpaths.
Piss off!