Friday 3 January 2014

GETTING TOLD OFF

Or, getting a skelpin' in the local (Doric) dialect.

We awoke to a nice sunny day here in Aberdeen. The Old Girl went off to a local gym club to go swimming and I decided to go walking. I put on my shorts and t-shirt and headed off in the late morning. Whilst it was sunny the temperature was about 5 degrees. This compared to Toronto was positively balmy but I got some odd looks from the locals who were out in their heavy weather gear.

I walked around the golf course near to where we are staying. It's a links course by the sea and I rambled over fairways but generally kept to the dunes areas where the 'rough' was. Beings beside the sea though the sea breeze brought the temperature down to an unbalmy probably sub-zero temperature. For me this was treasure country. I love golf courses and love playing golf but most of all I love finding golf balls.
As an errant golf player I instinctively know where misguided golf balls will land and I soon had a dozen and a half balls in my pockets. I only stopped collecting them because the weight of them was pulling my shorts down - not a god look even for a fine specimen of manhood like me.
I made my way home, finding a nice woollen scarf on the way and presented my finds to the Old Girl and her mother. I would have thought that she'd have been a bit more appreciative what with her birthday being in a few days but no, she said, in rapid order:


"What were you thinking going out like that you're turning blue,

"What have you got in your pockets I hope they're not golf balls"

"What do you think you're going to do with those golf balls? You're not taking those home matey"





Skelped. Never mind, she ran me a hot bath so all was good.

What am I going to do with those golf balls though.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Happy birthday to the old girl. Yes Matey she's right. Picking up those golf balls was just plain silly.

At least the big teal shorts would have matched your blue skin.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

You can take the man o't of Scotland but not the Scot o't the man.