Monday 7 March 2016

LOOK, I'VE BEEN BUSY - OK?

Just thought I'd get in before that old nag Richard (of RBB) starts hassling me about posting frequency.

Over the last week and a bit I've done some damn fine work on the consultancy I do. Not my best work ever - that was when I was being paid well to stretch the old brain box, but still it was OK.

I work 20 hours a week. That is I get paid for 20 hours ( at a per hour rate way lower than I earned 10 years ago) but it helps to pay the bills (mainly the mortgage we took on with the Auckland apartment). I try to block out 4 hours a day, mornings usually - 8 to 12, 5 days a week to cover this. Sometimes there is bugger all to do so I don't feel bad when I end up doing stuff at midnight or late afternoon (the vagaries of international markets).
This last week has seen a flurry of activity with some overseas orders and preparing a strategic export plan. I like doing this. I actually like being busy (within the parameters of working part-time).

Looking back on the week though I see that I still had time to:


  • re-join the local golf club and play 4 days (not full rounds or even 9 holes but just 5 or 6 holes each time).
  • Do a bit of handi-work about the house and property ( I won't use the word 'handyman' as the Old Girl says that I'm bloody hopeless at D.I.Y and always says 'get a man in' to do fix-it jobs. Just as well I have a healthy ego).
  • Go shopping 
  • Sort out the stuff in the house
  • Take excess stuff to the Salvation army
  • Build a bookcase and reposition the others and stack the bloody library we have.
  • Go swimming each day. ('Swimming' I call it. 'Wallowing the Old girl calls it. She's that type that puts goggles on and powers up and down the bay. Me? I just (gradually) get out to neck level and float around a bit.
  • Re-join the local club. While not being near the standard of the Auckland Club I was a member of years ago it's still a standard or two above RSAs and Cosi Clubs.
  • Go for walks around the bays at least every second day.
  • Watch some damn good DVD series (we don't have TV) and DVD movies.
  • Last night sit out on the deck at 11pm and look at the night sky. Bloody marvelous. Clear with no city lights buggering up the view. A cloudless sky showed all of the constellations which simply over-awed me. ("When you see the Southern Cross for the first time - you understand why you came this way ..")

I'll post properly when I have more time. Ok?




5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

You poor thing for being so busy. When my son was about eleven we had trouble getting him out of bed and ready for school, so we made him a list of morning jobs and put it in the kitchen. In the morning he'd run around busily saying, "I still have to do brush teeth and eat breakfast." Maybe Lyn needs to make you a list...
Evening:
1) Pour wine
2) Have a pee
3) Put dishes in dishwasher
4) Look at night sky from deck
5) Get ready for bed.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

6. Bible studies.

Richard (of RBB) said...

7) Pray to Jesus.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

8) If Jesus doesn't reply sit in a quiet place and wait.

Richard (of RBB) said...

9) And have a quick wank.