Thursday 24 November 2016

SUMMER


Click here:

IN THE SUMMERTIME


I love Summer.
It's still a few weeks away from official Summer but up North it's happening NOW.

The Pohutakawa trees out front are flowering and I've already been in for two swims, yesterday and today. Me. The wuss who takes ages to get into the water.



Tonight I made a 'Summer' meal. Tuna steak, baked potato and a rocket, pear and parmesan cheese salad.



This took no longer than 10 minutes to prepare and cook:
  • Scrub a small/medium sized potato (Agria), prick and microwave for 4 minutes.
  • Wash some baby rocket leaves, finely slice a pear, shave some parmesan, mix in a bowl with a light sprinkle of a good Balsamic vinegar.
  • Lightly pan fry a small tuna steak (keep it red in middle).
  • Put on plate and, voila (sorry no Italian), a superb Summer meal.
Looking at the cost of this (for one but not much more for two or more) we have:

  • Potato - maybe 20 cents
  • Salad - $1.50 of rocket, 50 cents worth of pear and maybe 50 cents of parmesan and 20 cents of Balsamic - total $2.70.
  • Tuna - $3.00.
  • Total meal - $5.90 max.Total meal - $5.90 max. 
As I ate this, with each mouthful my body felt good. My gullet and I'm sure over the next few hours my heart, colon and bowel will rejoice.

Let's compare this with any sort of take-a-way meal that I could have had (and which unfortunately too many people this evening have had).



The cost of the sugar, fat, carbohydrate and poor protein in a hamburger (with chips) or KFC cremated chicken (with chips) or some sort of taco (with chips) would be a lot more than $5.90 per serving and I guarantee that the vital organs of the consumers would be screaming "No, not more of that shit'.

OK, so I ruined the 'feel good aren't I the bees knees' feeling by downing a few glasses of wine (Chardonnay and Pinot Noir) but will refer you to the phenomenon of the Mediterranean Diet which is the balance of wine with healthy food.

Better than drinking those sugary drinks that are pushed by the Take-A-Way outlets. that cause way more problems than a few glasses of wine do.






3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

This is a bit like one of Robert's posts but without god.

Robert and the Catholics said...

Yes truly excellent! I was especially interested in that dish...
I read today the sparkling water lowers the ph and causes decay too.. maybe we should become friends!

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

The more wine, the better.