Thursday 13 July 2017

RALLYING AROUND

"OK, I know it's a badminton racquet
but it's a pretty cool outfit".

I've got more time to play tennis since the beginning of July and play each Tuesday and Thursday morning at the local tennis courts.

Generally about 10 or 12 oldies turn up for three hours. It's low key, friendly and a lot of fun. Someone always turns up with thermoses of coffee for a half-time break and some chatting, gossiping and rivalry takes place.

There are two courts and after each game everyone moves around one place. This makes it quite fair on the poorer players (I'm currently in that bracket) but you get a lot of time to practice all sorts of shots.




I've bought a couple of tennis racquets at the Op Shop - $4 each for what I consider to be pretty good. items.


One of them is a 'John McEnroe' Dunlop which gives me an excuse ( if I were to choose it) to throw it on the ground if I do a bad shot.
Good friend and Neighbour Rod actually does this and swears when he craps out (he say's it's only for a laugh).
Every one there thinks he's a bit of a character. Funnily enough he looks like an older version of John McEnroe.
"That was fucking well in. Are you blind?"

We don't play at a very energetic pace and the better players go easy on the weaker ones. Fun's the name of the game. Every little bit helps though in maintaining some degree of fitness.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Beat the fuck out of them! No more Mr Nice Guy!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thank you John.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I was going to say Richard could ... but they don't have tennis courts in Nouva Lazio and if they did they'd be full of pot holes.