Saturday 1 February 2020

AFTERNOON CLUBBING*

With apologies to Grace Jones: NIGHTCLUBBING

The Grace Jones video is a bit long for a poor pun. Sorry about that.
Robert in a comment on one of his posts said:

"I think posting links is already in the past!"

Oh well, readers don't have to click on the links. I don't know where Robert got that opinion from though given that, as a catholic he doesn't have any original ideas preferring to regurgitate the tripe that's served up to him in sermons at Sunday mass.

***************

I went to the club (not the Taumaranui Cosmopolitan Club) yesterday where the The John Leigh Calder Jazz Quartet played.

The last time I heard them was back in mid December and The Music Curmudgeon wrote a post about it: THE MUSIC CURMUDGEON

This afternoon was even better. It was a really hot day but the deck where the quartet played was sheltered from the sun.



The outlook is spectacular.

Sorry about the darkness. The phone camera was looking into the sun

I've been a bit disappointed with this local club over the last couple of years and, in previous posts likened it to a cosmopolitan club. A recent trip to Taumaranui reawakened old memories of how bad cosmopolitan and similar 'blokes' clubs can be and, thank Robert's god, our club hasn't sunk so low.
The music event in December and again today confirmed to me the potential that this community club has. Instead of being a boring drinking hole it can, with good selection of events and support from members, capitalise on the stunning outlook from below Mount Manaia and looking over McLeod Bay to the West.

I recorded a couple of clips.









.


In the second video you'll notice a lot of hubbub and talking. I turned around and got the attention of a loudmouth who was the worst in a group of people on the deck ignoring the music and asked him to be quiet. I didn't exactly say "shut the fuck up" but I did ask him "can you talk any louder?". He got the message and his little group moved into the main area of the club. I got a nod of approval from a couple of other people who were listening to the music.


.

2 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

It's good that you were thinking of the band but from my slight and generally unsuccessful experiences of playing live on stage the band is too absorbed to care what the audience thinks.

Richard (of RBB) said...

The band certainly cares what the audience thinks, otherwise they'd just play at home.
Hey, this band has a nice sound, from what I can hear.