Yes, you read that heading correctly. Interview number 40!
Wow! *
Who would have thought?
This series has been one of the most popular of The Curmudgeon Inc.ⓒ series with, over the 39 posts an incredible number of comments that can be counted in the dozens. Now that's achievement.
To celebrate I thought that an interview featuring the number 40 somehow would be appropriate.
A quick Google search on 40 showed this:God does not explicitly state a hidden or magical meaning for the number 40 in the Bible, but Scripture consistently uses it as a symbolic period of testing, trial, preparation, and transition.
Key Biblical Examples of 40
Noah’s Flood: Rain fell for 40 days and nights to cleanse the earth before a new beginning.
The Israelites: They wandered in the wilderness for 40 years to be purified and tested before reaching the Promised Land.
Moses: He spent 40 days on Mount Sinai receiving the Ten Commandments, and his life is broken into distinct 40-year blocks (in Egypt, in the desert, and leading Israel).
Jesus:
He fasted and was tempted in the wilderness for 40 days before starting His ministry, and there were 40 days between His resurrection and ascension.
Many theologians and teachers point out that 40 marks a clear pattern of spiritual transition—a crucial time where God shapes people, tests obedience, and brings about renewal.
Other biblical scholars caution that the Bible never explicitly assigns a formal rule to numerology, meaning 40 is sometimes just a literal length of time rather than a secret code.
Yeah, thanks Google but when I want a load of religious nonsense I'll ask for it or I'll read one of Robert's posts on his on-again off-again blog which is like an annoying light bulb that flickers on and off.
I asked Google again and this time a list of philosophical quotes came up that were more interesting:
Philosophical Quotes
Life really does begin at forty. Up until then, you are just doing research. - Carl G. Jung
At age 20, we worry about what others think of us. At 40, we don't care what they think of us. At 60, we discover they haven't been thinking of us at all. - Ann Landers
At twenty years of age, the will reigns; at thirty the wit; at forty the judgment. - Benjamin Franklin
Every man over forty is a scoundrel. - George Bernard Shaw
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age. - Victor Hugo
Life begins at forty. - W. B. Pitkin
The first forty years of life give us the text: the next thirty supply the commentary. - Arthur Schopenhauer
The lovely thing about being forty is that you can appreciate twenty-five-year-old men. - Colleen McCullough
We don't understand life any better at forty than at twenty, but we know it and admit it. - Jules Renard
When I passed forty I dropped pretense, 'cause men like women who got some sense.' - Maya Angelou
Women are most fascinating between the ages of 35 and 40 after they have won a few races and know how to pace themselves. Since few women ever pass 40, maximum fascination can continue indefinitely. - Christian Dior
Women deserve to have more than twelve years between the ages of twenty-eight and forty. - James Thurber
That's better.
No doubt readers will expect me to choose Arthur Schopenhauer's aphorism given that he and I nearly share the same hairstyle but I'm more interested in what Carl Jung had to say - "Life really does begin at forty. Up until then, you are just doing research."
I decided that Carl would be a worthy interviewee for this 40th interview.
********************
The Curmudgeon: Hello and welcome Mr Jung.
Carl Jung: Grüezi The Curmudgeon. We understood that it would be right for you to invite me to your interview series particularly the 40th one.
The Curmudgeon: Ha ha - I see what you did there - The Collective Unconscious. Very clever.
Carl Jung: Thanks The Curmudgeon - may I call you TC? It's obvious that you weren't relegated to the General classes at school.
The Curmudgeon: Yes, TC is fine if I can call you Carl. It's true that I was in the P classes at school not the G classes which were a thing identified as distinct from other things.
Carl Jung: Mmm, yes, my theory of The principle of individuation I think. I also think TC that you have been using Google search a little bit too much haven't you.
The Curmudgeon: Yes, rumbled Carl. I should have known better.
Carl Jung: Well you do TC - better than those 3G guys anyway. Ha ha ha.
The Curmudgeon: Ha ha ha. Carl, as you picked up on, the 40th has a connection to you as you said I think and I quote "Life really does begin at forty. Up until then, you are just doing research." Can you elaborate, for our readers, on what you meant by that?
Carl Jung: Ah! By that I meant that the first forty years of life are a preparation phase where you build an ego, learn social roles, and gather data, while authentic self-understanding begins in midlife.
The Curmudgeon: Yes, I feel that that relates to me where I've gained a better understanding of myself with age.
Carl Jung: Exactly and most of us do. In our early years which I referred to as The Research Phase (Ages 0–40) you build careers, form relationships, and absorb the expectations of society. You test what works and experience failure.
The Curmudgeon: Empirical knowledge then?
Carl Jung: Yes, not blind faith like some of those silly religious guys try to explain everything away with.
The Curmudgeon: Ha ha - I know one of those.
Carl Jung: You have to build your Ego you see and you can't do that by blindly following what some joker in a dress, pushing an unproven manifesto sent to him from the Vatican out of a pulpit in the middle of an arcane and frankly bizarre ceremony - whew! You have to stop me. I got enough of that religious stuff from my father who was a pastor in the Swiss Reformed Church. I guess I take after my mother who was more of a spiritualist. She was nuts though. I digress - where was I? Oh, ego - you must first establish a functional identity and a foothold in the external world before you can examine who you are beneath the surface.
The Curmudgeon: Right, got it but where does the '40' come into it?
Carl Jung: Hold your horses TC - the Real Life (Ages 40+) is where midlife shifts the focus from external approval to inner truth. You begin the process of individuation—integrating your hidden flaws and true desires (the shadow) to become a whole person.
The Curmudgeon: Yes yes yes - as Robert used to say before the Vatican probably told him he was sinning. I get it. I'm the product of my upbringing, education and life experiences both good and bad.
Carl Jung: Yes, you learn from those things and, by first hand experience and applying a filter - a moral or ethical filter you fine-tune the process and hopefully become a better person.
The Curmudgeon: Thanks Carl, I feel better about myself now. What happens next?
Carl Jung: You die.
The Curmudgeon: Oh!
Carl Jung: But you can die happy TC.
The Curmudgeon: Yeah, thanks Carl, you're a bundle of joy alright.
Carl Jung: Hey, Life's like a box of chocolates you know. There's always one in there you won't like.
The Curmudgeon: Was that one of yours?
Carl Jung: No - it was from Forrest Gump the film I saw on the way here on Spirit Airlines.
The Curmudgeon: Ha ha. It's been great talking with you Carl. Have you any more sayings that I can use for the other bloggers?
Carl Jung: "Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you".
The Curmudgeon: Perfect. I know just the guy to say that to. Cheers Carl.
Carl Jung: Uf Widerluege TC.
The Curmudgeon: What a nice guy and with a dry and witty sense of humor I like.


1 comment:
Well, at least William McGonnagall needn't be worried.
Post a Comment