Saturday 1 January 2011

I RESOLVE...

.... to not feel guilty for not working this year.
For all of 2010 I did not have a job. This after 35 odd years of working virtually continuously and having few holidays. Admittedly for 20 of those years I had jobs that took me overseas and I could have working holidays in some of the world's most interesting and beautiful spots but I never had a decent long break (not being a schoolteacher and all). Last year I was a kept man with time on my hands to do what I wanted. The problem with this was that The Old Girl was working long hours and most of the time away from home so I did not have a chance to share my leisure time with her. I did play golf a lot, walk and kayak and spend time in the garden and around the house but I never really got into it feeling that I should be working to help bring money in. I continually sought jobs, having some interviews and coming close on a couple of occasions but where I live there is not much opportunity to use my skills which are general management, marketing and sales management. For most jobs I was either over-qualified or lacking in specific technical experience (most jobs up here are hospital related, engineering and farming, boat-building or at the oil-refinery) but there is the underlying problem of ageism.

Employers generally want younger people. This is because they can pay less and also feel that they can boss them around better. I will still actively seek employment but I won't feel guilty about using my spare time for leisure. Through 2010 I was also involved in volunteer work for a charity organisation raising money for a new unit at the hospital and for an art gallery. The problem was that I could not get as actively involved as I would have liked because I thought that at any given week a job would turn up. This year I am going to get involved 'boots and all'.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great resolutions.But personally I think if you can pay the bills without working , relax and enjoy life.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Work is not all it's cracked up to be.