Wednesday 27 February 2013

VANDALS



We were woken by a fire alarm the other day. Well, when I say day, it was 2.45 in the frigging morning.
We live in an apartment building in the city. When fire alarms go off you need to take things seriously. Each apartment has a screaming alarm and at 2.45AM it tends to wake you up immediately. Unfortunately, when woken from sleep this way you tend to be a bit disoriented. Nevertheless we quickly dressed and made our way down the stairs from the 7th floor and assembled outside.
The fire brigade (two engines) were already there which was impressive and assuring.
Looking up at the building we saw two people on the 5th floor standing on the balcony outside their apartment and looking down. "Dicks" we thought.



After a while we were given the all clear and allowed to make our way back upstairs. There was a queue for the lifts with a hundred and fifty plus people all wanting to go up at the same time. We got back to bed about 4AM.

Later we found out that it was a case of 'vandalism' in that some one had deliberately set off an alarm. We immediately thought of the 'dicks' on the balcony.



Why do people do this sort of stupid thing? I can never understand acts of vandalism or wanton destruction. What's the point of smashing up a phone box or kicking in the glass in a bus shelter?

Why can't these morons realise that there is a cost to this and ultimately it all comes out of their pockets as well as the innocent in the form of taxes, levies, rates and mark-ups.

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well, The Curmudgeon, let me try to explain.
We get people like this at Nuova Lazio High on a regular basis. We have one 16 or 17 year old (who springs to mind) who is now a father. He is in year 12 now, but has spent his time, at our institution, wandering around and smoking dope and cigarettes. He is very rude, when confronted about anything. Today he single handledly (well almost, but with the help of a couple of aids) fucked up senior assembly. He doesn't have any notion of complying with our (society's) rules but he gets to stay because we must try to understand him. He will probably finish up in prison and his poor child stands a very good chance of being fucked up too. He really needs to be told that society needs him like you need an ashtray on a motorbike, or a cat flap in an elephant house. People who won't make any effort to abide by society's rules are going to have a hard time fitting in and probably belong somewhere else. Where that is I don't know, but they're buggering up things for everyone else because they are so self centered and totally selfish. I guess it is the old thing about everyone knowing their rights but not their responsibilities. Okay, our society may not be perfect, but it's pretty nice to have flushing toilets, soft matresses, libraries, fairly affordable medical and dental care, warm houses, vegetables that are affordable to just about anyone, did I say flushing toilets? Did I mention the availability of chardonnay? I guess that, if you don't want to be a reasonable person and play by society's rules, you should just fuck off into the jungle, or something, and not be such an ignorant, self centered twat.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Last night the Old Girl and I went out to a cafe for dinner. On the way back up Symonds Street we were following a group of 5 young blokes (20's). One tore an A2 sized poster off a wall, looked at it and threw it on the footpath. I picked it up, ran after the group, grabbed the guy by the shoulder and said "you dropped this"
Now if he had said "sorry" or "Fuck off" I would have been happy but no, the little scrote denied it was his. I told him that we'd seen him drop it and it was littering. He lied again saying it wasn't his. I screwed the paper up, stuffed it in his shirt pocket and said "take responsibility for your rubbish" and walked away. He was lost for words for a while before he and his mates started yelling abuse at us "silly old bastards" kind of stuff. Hopefully, in a small way this might make them think about littering. One can dream I suppose.

Richard (of RBB) said...

The Curmudgeon, you are my hero! Well done!
I too had an incident today. I was standing in line at the school canteen when a low life decided to push in a few people ahead of me. I gave up my place in the queue and asked him to let the young chap behind him pass. He talked to me like I was a piece of shit so I suggested that he was acting like an antisocial dick. He tried to summon support, from those around, against me. I asked him why he wasn't capable of fronting up a counter arguement on his own. He said he was offended that I'd called him a dick and told me to fuck off. I replied,
"Va a fatti fottere"
and I think he got what I was saying.
Ha! The power of being able to insult one in Italian when one is a powerless teacher!
Low lifes need to understand that they are, in fact low lifes. How does this self gratifying,selfish, ignorant cunt get to stay at our school?
Oh, and I told him he was a bully, which he is.
he told me to get fucked again.
It's time that our senior management team started doing their job and told animals like this to fuck off to somewhere else.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I've got practice to do. Remember those 10,000 hours?