Monday 30 March 2015

THE BEST BACON AND EGG PIE IN THE WORLD

Well, certainly the best bacon and egg pie that I've bought and not cooked myself is to be found at Mokaba cafe in the Whangarei Basin.

Every couple of months I go there and have a slice and a coffee.



I never ask for it to be heated as I hate what cafes do to pastries when they microwave them. They come out all soggy.
I ask for the bacon and egg pie to come as it is knowing that as they do a good turnover of these that it is likely to be not long out of the oven and still with residual warmth.

Mokaba use good quality bacon which has no excess fat. They cook complete eggs (not mushed up) in the pie, properly cook the bottom and use spinach in it as a green.
The only thing I don't like but that some people will is that on the latest one I've had they put mushrooms in it. No problem though as it's not the flavour of the mushrooms I don't like it's the texture. I simply take them out.


2 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Must pass the recipe to Marie. She does wonderful baking.

Richard (of RBB) said...

You're becoming a bit of a bacon and egg pie bore.