Tuesday 27 October 2009

IF THE NAME FITS..


McLeod Bay where I am moving to I am happy to say has a sort of historical connection with me. I really like the place and in a strange sort of way it is like going home. The bay is named after Rev. Norman Mcleod who, in 1855 settled there with a large group of fellow Scots. These Scots originally came from the West Coast of Scotland and at first emigrated to Nova Scotia, leaving there after drought and famine decimated the community before sailing to Victoria, Australia and ultimately New Zealand. My lot, the McDonalds were part of that journey and, as they were boat builders, would have been involved in building the sailing ships that took them from Nova Scotia to Australia and New Zealand. The McDonalds that I come from stayed on in Australia (farming at Tullamarine, Melbourne) before finally making the journey to Marlborough. Other McDonalds, some sort of kin, made the earlier trip with the McLeods and settled at Whangarei Heads. There is a McDonald's Island in McLeod Bay - a sort of gigantic sand bar that disappears at full tide. I like this connection. The place name suits.

I have been making a few trips up to McLeod Bay over the last week, taking up possessions and generally getting to know the area a lot more. I have noticed that there is a small place near Te Hana on the way up to Whangarei named Kuntara. Now, if Richard ever decided to to settle up North.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

" I have noticed that there is a small place near Te Hana on the way up to Whangarei named Kuntara. Now, if Richard ever decided to to settle up North....."
You need a place called Wanka.
Richard (of RBB)

THE CURMUDGEON said...

You spelled it wrong. You obviously mean Wanaka.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yes, I did spell it wrong. I meant Wanker.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Those fourteen hour days are making you grumpy. You should take up picture framing. Even better, take up picture framing then sell the business and have a break.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I wonder if there's a place Comeinyourpants?

Anonymous said...

There's a place called Comeinupants in northern Arabia. That's pretty close to being a coincidence.
Bin Hire

word verification was 'goframe'

Anonymous said...

Good post. I laughed at the sandbar bit.
At first I thought you meant NUOVA LAZIO in the other bit and could understand why they wanted to move away!