Saturday 10 April 2010

APRIL IS THE CRUELLEST MONTH








April is the cruellest month, breeding

Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain








The opening lines of T.S. Eliot's poem may well have been written for the Southern hemisphere and not the Northern except for the reference to Spring.
Elliot takes the opposite stance of other writers talking about Spring. They talk about birth and rejuvenation. He talks about death.


There is a certain amount of tristesse with the end of Summer and the onset of the colder months although this is not without beauty (I particularly liked Man of Error's reference to it in his latest post .."The sky is clear and blue, and the air a little cool.  Autumn is rapidly doing its work with the trees.").


Tristesse, melancholy, 'the end of the Golden Weather' feeling if you will is a natural part of the cycle of seasons that make up life. The trick is in knowing (and believing) that it is a cycle otherwise melancholy can morph into depression. Who knows what endless Summer would bring? Ennui? A sense of sameness? Personally I love the change of seasons and the challenges they bring.


A TV advertisement  (National Bank?) captures this very well. A geezer locks up the Summer paraphernalia (deck-chairs, paddling pools etc.) in the garden shed and when walking away, glances back over his shoulder with a sad and regretful look on his face.


I've got the wood in for Winter.


1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

My old friend, I think I understand what you're getting at. Really I'm not that bright, but my intuition is well developed - maybe I should have been a woman; an ugly one. I remember playing The Last Post at your place one ANZAC Day. I tried to say, amongst bursts of emotion, that those who fight the good fight against depression, and lose that fight, are akin to fallen soldiers. In my humble opinion, they should be celebrated as heroes, I've had some experience in this area. I'm thinking of Lyn (spelling!) and you at this time of the year.
It's good to understand the seasons because that's how life works.
I love you both.
Take care, my old friend.
Richard (of RBB)