Friday 19 November 2010

DIY



TSB and SF are on at me to fix things myself around the house instead of waiting for tradesmen to do it. They seem to have a lot more confidence in me than the Old Girl has. She is always saying 'let's get a man in' when some repair work or building needs to be done (at least I think that is what she's referring to). I learned my DIY skills from my dad who gave proof to the old adage that tradesmen's own houses were always in the worst repair. Dad had a successful plastering business and there are still lots of constructions in Wellington that he built (Oriental Bay fountain, lots of Government buildings and the (then) modernistic Ian Athfield houses). He was meticulous when building things for other people but around home he was rough as guts. I remember once when he installed an expandable reading light (probably got it from the tip) in his and mum's bedroom. He simply hammered it to the wall with a couple of 8" nails. It wobbled and sagged, eventually tearing out big chunks of plaster when it finally fell off. Mum was a painter and we had lots of artwork on the walls. These were always nailed on so there were always holes in the walls.
I tend to take shortcuts when building or repairing things, not having the patience to measure properly or finish things off. Close enough is good enough is my motto so its no wonder that I'm told to just leave it alone.

It is quite telling that at our house the tool kit is owned by the Old Girl and I'm not allowed to touch it.

*WARNING*

By the way, be careful if doing an image search like I did for rough tradesmen. It seems that Rough Trade is some sort of homosexual practice so there were some pretty bizarre images. What's that all about Richard?

8 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

"What's that all about Richard?"
I think the line was,
"What's it all about, Alfie?"
Ask Michael Caine.

Angry Jesus said...

You sound like a nancy boy.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Now, now boys, no lover's tiffs please.

Thanks for the post TC, enjoyed it.
It's odd that you mentioned that your Dad was a plasterer working in Wellington. One of our friends who passed away earlier this year was a plasterer of renown, also in Wellington. He did the surface of the War Memorial bell tower, just behind the Basin Reserve. I wonder if they knew each other?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Mmm. Most likely did. Dad would have been older but as he ran the business from the late 40's to the 70's I'm sure that they knew each other.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing. They were true craftsmen back then. Just drive down the road and look at the detailed carpentry on pre 20's houses.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Sorry, I've just re-read your post, and picked up on that last section on "Rough Trade"

I'm not sure it is soleley a homosexual reference. I remember as a lad, we heard comments about some girls as "a bit of rough"

So maybe Trade swings both ways?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Maybe TSB. Why don't you check it out. Look up images for Rough Tradesmen" and see what you find. Make sure that the doors are locked and that you have set your internet browsing to the appropriate setting.

Nicola said...

I have always admired some of the Ian Anthfield apartments- especially the council flat ones and some in Hataitai- it must be great knowing your Dad helped bring them to life.

A 'rough trade' goggle search here doesn't bring up anything too sinister as there's a record shop in east London called Rough Trade, but there were a few interesting pictures...