Sunday 6 February 2011

FALSE PRETENCES

I was looking at The Old Girl's hair this morning and was thinking that it still looks as good as it did when we got together 23 years ago (it was our anniversary yesterday - celebrated with Roederer Champagne - her favourite). Admittedly she does get it highlighted but it is still full and rich and she has it cut nicely. Her nice haircuts cost a couple of hundred dollars. She refuses to go to the mobile barber that I have recommended. The mobile barber operates out of a camper-van and only charges fifteen dollars. Anyway, to the false pretences.

Twenty three years ago when we met I had a head full of dark brown curly hair. It was shorter than I used to wear it at University but was still thick and rich. The Old Girl used to like running her fingers through it and she used to say that she would like to have hair like mine.
Twenty three years later I'm sure she's glad that her wish didn't come true.


Today my hair is grey and while it is still rich and thick at the back and sides it has rapidly disappeared in the front and into the middle. I feel that  I misrepresented myself to her at the beginning with my nice curly hair and that under the consumers guarantees act she may have a case for asking for her money back.


I am always amazed to see earlier photographs of balding men to see how often they had nice, rich curly or flowing hair while the guys who looked like they had a dead possum on their heads, when in their 50's still have a full head of hair. Weird.

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Happy anniversary!
In Nuova Lazio you can get a haircut for eight bucks, and the bloke only takes about three minutes.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I only need three minutes nowadays.

Bunny Hoskins said...

What! I hope you're talkin' about a haircut!

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Sorry I didn't comment before, but every time I started to type, I got all choked up, bitterly regretting the loss of my thick brown curls.
I uses to enjoy twirling my locks as I read a book.
Alas no more. My last visit to the hairdresser was in 1995. Nowadays, I just run my beard trimmer over my scalp.
I have a fear of being seen as one of those sad pathetic people who try and use a comb-over to hide their baldness. That's really going to work?