Saturday 5 February 2011

SO CALL ME AN OLD FUDDY DUDDY BUT......


.... I am concerned at the content of the media that children are watching. This garbage is deliberately aimed at children no matter how they dress it up or pretend that it is for an over 18 market. The reality is that sub-14 y.o.'s are the big spenders on music and the watchers of cartoons, comedies, vampire films etc. on TV and in cinemas. Cartoons like The Family Guy and music videos put out by the likes of Rihanna and Beyonce are salacious and with adult themes. They are sexualising our children and I do not believe that is a good thing. A friend of ours lets her 4 y.o. watch The Family Guy and says that this is his favourite programme. Has she watched this programme? I doubt if she has closely watched it. It has themes of violence, underage sex, deviant sex, bestiality to name a few. The lead character, the father, is a social misfit in a dysfunctional family dressed up to be funny and appealing. It is funny, I'll give it that and apparently (I didn't notice it) there is a parental guidance warning at the beginning of the show. I checked on the internet and in the USA it is banned from screening before 9PM. In NZ it screens on SKY's Comedy channel. I watched it at 9AM. A lot of people comment that this is OK, that parents should tell their children what is right and wrong and to just get over it. I don't agree and, for once, I will support the Christians who are trying to stop a lot of this.

5 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Completely agree.
The amount of crap on our Tvs is frightening.
My son's favourite is Jackass. I have never seen such a complete load of unadulterated shit.

Guy hammers a nail through his hand.
Complete lack of common sense?
No!
Very funny according to my son (of 24).
Family Guy, Southpark and all their ilk should be banned until after 10pm. On 29 February.

Nicola said...

You're an Old Fuddy Duddy.

But I do agree, a further concern to that is what gets advertised during this time- the very sly marketing techniques that are used to persuade kids to persuade parents to buy, buy, buy.

I thought about htis a bit when I was up in the village in Nepal. This kids went without so much, yet in a way they were bright, all round individuals whose lenthened innocence turned them into more genuine adults.

Bunny Hoskins said...

Just chewin' the carrot on this one. Is Hogan's Heros okay for kids?

Anonymous said...

I could be wrong but any child under 12 could read TWB's blog and see semi naked ladies!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hogan's Heroes is OK for kids (and adults with a reading age of 10). The fact that Bob Crane is a sleazebag doesn't affect the programme.