Thursday 3 March 2011

IDIOTS

One of my favourite TV programmes is An Idiot Abroad - TV3 Thursdays 9.30.
Karl Pilkington is a mate of Ricky Jervais and Stephen Merchant (creators of The Office and Extras) and they 'send' him on exploration around the world. They see him as a typical English idiot who is set in his ways and cannot appreciate foreign countries. They are right of course as he stumbles and bumbles his way through Mexico, Egypt, Sudan etc. They set him up by prearranging weird and wonderful experiences relevant to each country like eating sheep's eyeballs or wasps and wrestling in Mexico. It is very funny.


Pilkington reminds me of Noel, a friend of Richard and mine from the 70's. Jervais and Merchant are mean to Pilkington, setting him up for all sorts of falls for their own amusement. We used to do similar things to Noel. He was a strong and fit little bastard but was quite short so we could 'manipulate' him. I won't say bully because it was not like that. He was always the butt of our jokes though. An example is a party we were at in The Terrace (Jane's flat I think). It was a 3-storey house and had a kind of laundry chute going from the lounge or dining room down to the basement. You can see where this is going can't you. Actually, by a strange coincidence so could Noel. He tried to escape, diving behind a couch, under tables etc, but we eventually caught him and despatched him down the chute.
This was before the days of OSH and other considerations of health and safety so no-one had thought to check out what was at the bottom of the chute - broken glass, machinery, concrete floor etc. Fortunately I think it was dirty laundry as there were no screams from Noel. There were screams from Jane though who, very loudly and rudely suggested that we should decamp. Other screams came from Richard but that was only because the Yort was banging him on the top of his head. The Yort was Noel's best friend and was a sort of Hardy to Noel's Laurel. He often hit Richard on the top of his head so you would think that he had gotten used to it by then.

Idiots.jpg





10 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Colin, he with the amazing laugh, was the third musketeer.

Nicola said...

Hmm... I think I would call that bullying.

By the way, why do you keep deleting posts just after you've published them? It's like saying "Come round for a drink. Oh, no, sorry I've just finished the last bottle".

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I found this amazing spoof advertisement featuring a school teacher who talks about his life after 27 years of teaching. I published it but the video for some reason wouldn't play so I deleted the post.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"Hmm... I think I would call that bullying."

Yeah, I know what you are saying Nicola but you would really have to have known Noel. It was more like rough and tumble.

Nicola said...

You're probably right- you two don't exactly strike me as your typical jock bullies who do it all for their own pleasure.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ungrateful Comeinyourpants was largely unsuccessful at attaining the pleasures he desired at this time of his life but, to his credit, he never bullied Noel. We were a tight group of friends, Noel included, and no one was immune from being the target of piss taking. The one time I got a woman, all 'thes boys' (no grammar mistakes - that was my title for us) devoted their energies to breaking it up - hey, they needed something to do because none of them had girlfriends. There was NEVER any bullying; just a group of young guys sorting out life. I remember how, after a few drinks, I used to try to cuddle Noel and he'd punch me so that no one would think he was gay. Hey, that was the 70s!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes I might have been a slow starter but I made up for it.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Sorry to say this, but I loath this TV program. It denegrates people of lower than average IQ.
It makes fun of "foreign" customs and practices.
My son loves it. He also loves jackass. 'Nuff said.

Richard (of RBB) said...

What TSB (of RBB)?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"Sorry to say this, but I loath this TV program. It denegrates people of lower than average IQ.
It makes fun of "foreign" customs and practices."

So 90% of British humour is not to your taste then.
Monty Python, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, Benidorm, Tony Hancock, The Office, etc.