Thursday 24 March 2011

NEW THINGS TODAY

New thing # 1.

The deck at the front of the house is up. This extends the walk-out space from the kitchen out over the garden. It is a bit ugly at present as it needs to be stained which will then bring it back into balance with the existing fixtures.

The big advantage is that it gives us a view out west (to the left of the photograph) which previously we couldn't see. This is a great view looking down the harbour.


The photo doesn't do the view justice as it is raining and there is low cloud. Normally the hills/mountains towards Dargaville can be seen. Next project will be seeing if we can get the power lines buried underground.

New thing # 2


The Old Girl rang this afternoon to say that she bought an apartment in Auckland. We take possession next week - quick settlement!
It is in the central city with easy walking distance to everything including her place of work. I'm going down to the city next week to see it and stay the first night.

The building in Mount Street

The lounge with a view of the city (East I think).


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My, how the other half live!
Well done.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well done, old chap.
Things seem to be falling into place for you.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"My, how the other half live!"

If you mean trying to live with no money coming in, working unpaid for charities, doing free consultancy work for friends and family in the wine industry then I guess you are right.

Oh, and having to take out a mortgage on an extra property in Auckland because Lynn's job requires her to be there several days a week.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Does this mean that you'll be joining Lynn in Auckland?

That flat looks nice, but the view off the deck is great. I really envy you that.

Good luck with getting the power lines moved. Knowing how they operate, I'd imagine a couple of years before anything happens. And it'll cost you a fortune.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

TSB, I hope that I don't have to get work in Auckland. It is for this reason that I am doing the real estate course. the real estate company have given me a contract so, who knows, if I can sell a couple of houses a year things will be OK. I just need to buy some white or grey shoes. Richard, any fashion tips?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

re my bristling response to Second Fiddle's "My, how the other half live!" comment, Robert, there is nothing stopping anyone in New Zealand to up sticks and move to absolutely stunning areas. It is possible. You just have to sacrifice job security and be prepared to live on the bones of your arse for a bit. Sure we are fortunate that the Old Girl can work from home a bit, but she does have to travel a lot with her job as well. This is why I love New Zealand.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"My, how the other half live!"
Sorry Second, but I hate that saying. We all make life choices. Doesn't your god frown on envy?
Remember Job (in your god's book) and be happy with your lot.

Ha, real estate agents. Bloody sharks most of them. We really got ripped off by a Christian one when we sold our Tauranga house.

It might sound like I've got it in for Christians - well, I have.

Some Christian big shot thinker talked, in the latest listener about the rise of the agressive athiest. Well, about time people challenged christian dogma and the "I'm right because god said so" attitude.
Bloody crap.
Hey, Ungrateful Comeinyourpants, wear whatever fucking shoes you like, just not moccasins.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll scramble back in my little hole and never say anything ever again.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Damn, Second's gone - he deleted his whole blog.
Oh well. let's look out for the Second Coming.

Nicola said...

Wow, your place up north is stunning. Good work on the deck.