Saturday 10 December 2011

OLD FOLKS BOOGIE



I remember when living in Christchurch the couple next door, in their seventies, would crank up the radiogram on Saturday nights and boogie away into the wee hours (or until 9.30). There is a great radio programme on National Radio on Saturday evenings where 'the oldies' request music. No doubt I'll be tuning in soon.

CD's and entertainment is not the exclusive domain of teenagers with their mind-numbing music.


There is a hell of a lot out there that doesn't get written up in Melody Maker, Rip It Up and Rolling Stone but which is meaningful to (probably) more people than the supposed target teenage market who bootleg, copy and otherwise steal it anyway.

The prompt for this rant   post is the CD I bought at Countdown supermarket the other day. It is 'A Kiwi Journey' which has music and historical narrative from prominent Northlanders. It has been made as a fund-raising initiative for Project Promise with which I have been associated.


This is a very good cause aiming to raise $3m for an oncology centre at Whangarei Base Hospital. I am going to buy more of these CD's for Christmas gifts. I really exhort (with an 'h' not a 't') you to buy one of these and support a very worthy cause.

OK, its not rock and roll and won't make the top 10 charts but it is a good listen and a good reminder that there is a lot of good stuff out there that doesn't get hyped up. If you are too young (yeah right) to listen to it now then buy it, put it aside for a few years and enjoy it in your dotage.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I enjoyed old folzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
oops, sorry, boring old rock music does that to me.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Rock music rocks!
HAHAHAHAHA

No it doesn't

Yes it does.

OMG, My schist has had a schism.

Anonymous said...

Wow what a brilliant video. I thought The Band had it all rapped up,not!