Sunday 12 October 2014

AND THAT WAS SUNDAY IN AUCKLAND

It was a pretty nice day in Auckland today so after a lie in I went for a wander around town.

The Diwali festival was in full swing with thousands of people enjoying all the food and entertainment tents in closed off Queen Street.

The video I took with my iPhone won't upload but imagine here Indian street performers beating drums and making a lot of noise while walking up the street wearing colourful costumes (move over Michael Seresin).

There were some unusual stands like this scary one.

I know, I know, the symbol represents Vishnu in Hinduism but really....


and this one with promises of delight.




 After enjoying the festival I went off for a late lunch at Mezze in Durham st.
This is a great place that I'd like to take Richard and Shelley to when they next come to Auckland. There aren't many places like this in Auckland unfortunately. It has a Wellington feel to it (the owner used to run a restaurant/cafe in Courtenay Place).
I like it because it's unpretentious. It has a homely feel with old wooden furniture and doesn't get refitted every other year. You buy and pay for food and drinks at the counter from an extensive tapas-type menu. Lots of choice.

I had my favourite - Spanish Tuna Dip which was up to standard and a glass of Odyssey Chardonnay. Yum.

Yes I got strange looks when photographing my meal


I then walked to the end of Queen Street and watched the ferries coming and going on the harbour.
I sat looking at the wonderful old Ferry Buildings that house Harbourside restaurant and what used to be Cin Cin but is now named Botswana Butchery.



What on earth someone was thinking to rename a celebrated restaurant (Cin Cin) as the extremely ugly sounding Botwsana Butchery is beyond me. I won't set foot in the place and I'm not even a vegetarian.

Wandering back up Queen Street again, I decided to see a film. Of course, being the school holidays the choices were pretty dire.


and,



I used to blame the poor offerings on the theatres catering to school kids but now I think that the crap school holiday selections are because the teachers want to watch vampire films, animated 3D  rubbish and anything featuring Bruce Willis.

From a poor offering I chose The Equalizer (American spelling).




This film was extremely, extremely violent, totally implausible but stylish. Richard will love it.
I enjoyed it.

And so home to a glass of Church Road Hawkes Bay Chardonnay and a chicken stir fry.






2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

People on Facebook always take pictures of what they're eating to fill in those times when they don't have a wise saying or a cat picture to post. Restaurant goers should be used to it.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

That Spanish Tuna looks yummy.
I think you and I share an interest in just wandering around places.