Saturday 11 October 2014

THE WILD WEST

I did go out to the west coast today after all, having a walk around Muriwai.



This is a stunning part of Auckland's coast featuring the black sand beach, aggressive seas pounding the rocks and fishing platforms and of course the gannet colony.



I walked around the cliff area which overlooks the colony.



It's great watching gannets at work and, with the ever strong winds here it takes them ages to land. They hover above you waiting to come in to their favourite spot, nest or to be beside their partner.
It's sort of like watching a plane land at Wellington airport.



The rock area (actually, it's more like well sandpapered surfaces as the pounding surf has worn off all the sharp edges of the rock) is very slippery and dangerous but it's a thrill when the seventh wave comes in and spouts up.






I couldn't walk far down the beach because there's a stream to cross.



The Old Girl normally piggy backs me across so that I don't get my feet wet but she's in Canada so it was no go.




1 comment:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Pretty wild around there. Think you were wise not attempting to cross that stream!