Monday 21 May 2018

ENLIGHTENMENT

I was inspired by Richard's latest post HERE  where the old guy gives advice on how to make blog posts more interesting.

I don't agree with all of what he says, well, bugger all in fact but he did make a passing reference to the windows in my house which I created a series of posts on some time ago. There were eight exciting posts and here is the eighth one: WINDOWS 8

I've been a bit remiss in not following up on these posts so Richard's comment is a timely reminder.

Bad news is that I've run out of windows to post on but remembered another feature of the house that makes for interesting reading - LIGHT SWITCHES.

We have a few different types of switches in this house that merit some attention.


1. The standard single switch. 

This is a classic that is found in many homes and has the popular dirt protector around it to protect the wallpaper. This unfortunately hasn't protected the actual unit where my poor housecleaning duties are evident. We have several of these.




2. Modern version of 'The Classic'

This also is found in many houses built after 1980. To my eye it lacks the reliable robustness of 'The Classic'. This one is unusual in that the surrounding face plate is a different colour plastic to the toggle. I might earmark this for donation to Western Spring's Science and Technology Museum if we do any renovations here.





3. Newer version of the Modern version of 'The Classic'

The toggle is larger and harks back to the reliability of 'The Classic'. Colour matching of the plastics used is an improvement. Like 'The Classic' we have a few of these in operation.





4. This one has a modernistic industrial look due to the face plate having been removed at some stage. I like it's 'deconstructed' look. It reminds me of sci-fi films like Bladerunner.




5. Double switch

There are a couple of these and I'm pleased to say that they work well allowing some multi-activity in the rooms that they are installed in. In the main bathroom one operates the lights and the other operates an extraction fan. In the kitchen one operates the kitchen light and the other operates the outside front deck lights. Neat.





6.  Single dimmer switch

This is the most popular in the house with several of them being installed. They are clever and functional.







6.  Single dimmer switch with some sort of fan toggle below. I don't actually know what the fan toggle does so don't use it.





7. Single dimmer switch with a standard switch.

Now this one is clever. It is in the sitting alcove by the kitchen and operates the kitchen light which can be dimmed and the outside front deck lights . I'm continually impressed by the marvels of modern technology.






8.  Double switch with the addition of a sensor switch

The double switch operates the hall light at the front door end and also the outside security lights.
The sensor switch operates the security lights but these will not stay on all the time as they have a motion detector installed.







I hope that you found this interesting. While going about the house photographing the switches I realised of course that in addition to the fixed overhead lighting we have many free standing lamps. I don't wish to overload you with information at this stage so will photograph these and post some time in the future.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that post .I see some really old and really trendy ones in the houses we clean . sometime [ when I get time I will take some photos of some of these. Our switches are the mundane ones like yours .

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Mundane! What a cheek.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Anon sounds like Robert. Coincidence there. I started reading this post but didn't get past the first few words, "Now listen carefully. .."

Richard (of RBB) said...

Anon sounds like Robert. Coincidence there. I started reading this post but didn't get past the first few words, "Now listen carefully..."

Robert and the Catholics said...

Anon doesn't sound like me. I would never think to use the words old and trendy about light switches. Anon sounds like someone that could discuss light switches through eternity and beyond.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No, I knew that 'Anon' was Richard only he forgot to put the default grammatical errors into a 'Robert' comment.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Wasn't me.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Sorry for accusing you Ronert. Anon was TC trying to push up his comment count.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Ronert?