Thursday 24 May 2018

CALL ME AN OLD FUDDY DUDDY BUT .........

Look I like my books, films, blogs and tv programmes with a bit of violence in them - I always have.
As a kid I read the Treece, Trease and Carey novels about rampaging Vikings and marauding Crusaders.



I read The Iliad and The Odyssey and some of The Bible (which was pretty brutal).

I watched Pekinpah and Jodorowski films and have seen many thriller, sci-fi, espionage, crime and horror films.



what really annoys me though is when any genre - film, TV, book, painting or poem uses murder and killing as a comedic device.
Violence should be depicted as antisocial, abhorrent, nasty and behaviour that should be avoided at all costs. When media, especially entertainment media show killing and violence it should be off-putting, not funny with clever 'wisecracking'.

It's for this reason that I don't like Quentin Tarantino as a director, never watched Bruce Willis, Arnold Scwartzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Mel Gibson and the never-ending parade of crappy cop and sidekick films where there was a lot of shooting and killing done 'in fun' The worst of these are among the newest like Reds, Reds 2, The Kingsmen, Mr and Mrs Smith etc.


You leave your brain at home to watch this garbage.


There's a highly touted TV series on TVOne (demand) named Killing Eve. It is well acted, cleverly filmed and slickly produced but basically it's a nasty piece of work about a female assassin who smirks and smiles as she despatches her victims. Do we need this?  No.


3 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I watched the "Six" series on lighthouse before they cut me off.
I saw things I didn't in hindsight want to see.
Rape, murder, cold hearted killing.
I don't know if it was fiction or truth.
It is all so real on the screen; and hence I agree with you.
Now I carry around in my mind an imagine of a woman agreeing to rape to save her class of school girls from the same!
Why?
It was fiction designed to shock.
What would really have happened given human nature was she would have said "Yeah I don't give a fuck; just leave me alone".

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well I'm sorry about your disturbing experience but as long as there was no silly humour involved then I'm not bothered.
As you say it was designed to shock which is in keeping with the submission in my post.
Fictional muder, rape etc. must d this.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

The SIX series on LightBOX - I assume is the American Navy SEALS in Afghanistan and Nigeria.
I think I'll watch it as they don't trivialise warfare, murder, rape and violence.

Why did Lightbox cut you off? Were you rude to them?