Friday 9 November 2018

WORRY





I had a shock yesterday at the news that good friend Tony had a possible stroke yesterday. I've known Tony for 52 years having first met him in the third form at college.

Tony's 'event' happened exactly two weeks after I had a stroke. I was talking to him on the phone only a week before when he was concerned about my illness. He said that he felt fit and was active around the farm-block he and Alison purchased a few years back.

Richard has known Tony for longer than I have (57 years) having shared Marist Brothers Intermediate school with him before college. See:


His first memory was of the strange kid who picked his school cap out of the urinal before putting it on his head. My first memory was of the same strange kid who sat behind me in class and tried to get to know me by repeatedly poking a pointed compass into my back.



His social skills developed some years later.


Tony is a good friend with whom I've shared many great adventures at school, university and in our later lives. I hope that he gets better soon as I have and am looking forward to seeing him when I go to Auckland next week.

******************

Why the Alfred E. Neuman 'What, me worry?' cartoon you might ask.
Well, I found with my stroke which fortunately didn't leave me with any motor or cognitive damage, that a sense of humour was the best defence. I joked with the doctors and nursing staff as making light of the situation was certainly preferable to going into a depressive downward spiral.

Tony has a great sense of humour that he shares with me, Richard, Mike and others and I know that he will understand.





1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Alfred is not unlike younger Tony to look at.