Wednesday, 22 July 2026

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

"Well, I'm so tired of cryin' but I'm out on the road again
I'm on the road again" *


I took advantage of the splendid weather today and walked from Thorndon along the waterfront, to the end of Oriental Bay, along Evans Bay Parade to Greta Point, through Kilbirnie, over the hill to Newtown and along Adelaide Road towards the Basin Reserve.

I hopped on a bus near John Street as my knee was stiffening up. On checking my phone I discovered I'd walked 12 kilometers. That's more than I've been doing recently due to bad weather and feeling unwell. It will be good for building up fitness for the Australian trip and I'll have to do a walk like this three times a week if possible.

When I got to Kilbirnie I remembered reading in the St Patrick's College newsletter that the annual Winter Sports Exchange with St Patrick's College Silverstream was scheduled for today so I cut through Evans Bay Park to watch some of the First XV game. I saw the last 10 minutes of the first half but didn't wait around to watch the second half - I'm not that much of a sports fan.



 




The thing to note was that the intensity of the game and the skills was greater than in our day and the players, especially the Polynesian boys, bigger and stronger.









* I wasn't really crying but have been 'under the weather' both figuratively and literally for a few weeks.

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hey, I'm proud of you for doing all that walking! Well done!

Rob said...

Yes impressive.

Rob said...

...but why is RBB proud of you. Did he teach you how to walk?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

He just wanted to be involved in some way.
Be nice to him. He's old you know.