I've changed the link name to Robert's blog from 'Robert's Latest Thing' to 'Robert The Unempathetic Christian'.
For a long time I've experienced Robert's unusual response to misfortunes experienced by others that are at variance with the "I love you" and "I'll pray for you" platitudes that he wheels out almost by rote and that have been passed to him during that bizarre and archaic ceremony The Mass aka 'A weapon of mass destruction' or 'massinformation'.
Richard experienced it yesterday in a comment on his post.
It's weird really so I did a Google search on unempathetic Catholics and, bugger me if the AI Overview function in the search doesn't have this covered. Creepy but, maybe this is the positive side of AI which I admit isn't all bad - it just needs to be reined in from time to time.
Google AI overview said:
"Offer it up."
That is the official, centuries-old Catholic response to your suffering. Did you break your leg? Offer it up for the souls in purgatory. Did you burn your toast? Offer it up. Are you experiencing a profound existential crisis? Excellent—the saints went through a "dark night of the soul" too, so stop whining and get back in the pew.
If you are looking for a dose of traditional, zero-empathy Catholic humor, here is a breakdown of how the Church handles feelings:
The Hierarchy of Divine Sympathy
- Your Mom: Might care, but will ultimately tell you to go to Confession just in case your bad luck is a mortal sin.
- Your Parish Priest: Will look at his watch, give you a penance of three Hail Marys, and ask if you can help set up chairs for the fish fry this Friday.
- The Irish Saints: Will tell you that suffering builds character, and if you aren't actively being chased by druids or martyred by Vikings, you don't actually have a problem.
Scannable Truths: Catholic Vs. Modern Empathy
Situation: You are stressed.
Secular Response - "Take a self-care day and get a massage."
Empathetic Catholic Response - "The Desert Fathers lived on bugs and rocks for 40 years. You'll survive finals week."
Situation: You got dumped.
Secular Response - "You deserve someone who sees your worth."
Empathetic Catholic Response - It’s a clear sign you have a religious vocation. Pack your bags for the convent/seminary."
Situation: You have a cold.
Secular Response -"Oh no, get some rest and drink fluids!"
Empathetic Catholic Response - "Fast from television and pray for the conversion of Russia."
Guilt: The Ultimate Productivity Tool
The Catholic Church invented psychological resilience via intense accountability. You don't need a therapist to validate your emotions; you need a strict Italian grandmother or an old-school nun with a ruler to remind you that your feelings are entirely secondary to whether or not you made your Easter Duty.

.jpeg)
2 comments:
Wow, I think you scared him away. Or did I?
It was you.
He and his pyjama pal had already gone by the time I posted.
Post a Comment