Monday 15 November 2010

DUCKS ARE UNRELIABLE



When I play golf I have a bad habit of not watching properly where the ball goes. I drive off, see the ball going down the fairway (or off the fairway) somewhere and then stop watching before the ball stops rolling. I lose a lot of golf balls doing this. I am trying to discipline myself into taking a 'sighter' of a tree, bush, peg  or something to remind me where the ball was last heading. I played 18 holes this morning and put this into practice. On the 10th hole the tee shot drifted down the right of the fairway towards a large pond. The only 'sighter' I had to go by was a large duck sitting by the pond. I clocked it but when I got down by the pond the stupid duck had wandered off. This meant that I didn't have a clue where the ball had gone, whether it was in the grass by the pond or in the water. Bloody duck!

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

What a dickhead! Of course ducks move. Most birds have that ability.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

"Richard (of RBB) said...
What a dickhead! Of course ducks move."


What about sitting ducks, or roast duck? They don't move.

TC: Hint. Use inanimate objects as reference points. I picked up this simple hint from my Army days, when I found that trees and hils don't normally move about very much.

Please note that this is not an absolute rule. Try avoiding using trees as references when there's lumberjacks about.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

RRBB, go fuck yourself.

TSB, what if there are people dressed up as trees (e.g. as in Dad's Army or that Scottish Play?)

Nicola said...

"trees and hils don't normally move about very much."
For a man of your breeding TSB, you seem to recall little from Macbeth.

My Dad and a friend were out playing golf in Gisborne one new year's day and they came across a passed out party-goer (or goner) on the 8th hole. He was alive so they just played around him and carried on.