Wednesday 23 March 2011

LUCKY # 13

THE DANGERS OF ELECTRICITY


We are extending the deck at the front of the house at present. This will give us better outside entertaining, a different angled view of the harbour looking West to the hills and will cover the useless bit of lawn at the front so that I won't have to mow it. It all looks pretty good at present except for the fact that from one corner you can now reach up and touch the telephone wires. You can, with a stick or umbrella also touch the power line which annoyingly spoils the view.


I have been reading up on power lines and there are conflicting opinions. Some say that it is perfectly safe to touch power lines unless the rubber coating is damaged. Others say that if you touch them you fry. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle. I will put large pots in the corner where this is an issue so that no one can experiment.
Electricity gives me the creeps as I had a bad experience with it once.

Lucky # 13

My Dad was a tradesman and owned a plastering business. He had lots of jobs going on building sites around Wellington and I used to help him on school holidays. I used to mix concrete and plaster for the men, make the tea and generally help out. I used to enjoy climbing the scaffolding on the tall buildings. No mishaps happened in doing that.



I remember once setting up the concrete mixer in a building. It was about a seven story building that had the framework and concrete floors finished but everything was still pretty rough. I was on one of these floors where there were stacks of timber, piles of sand, cement and lime bags, steel etc. and there was a lot of water. Water on building sites is the norm from taps and hoses, spilled buckets and the elements as invariably there are no windows. I ran the very long power cord from the electrical box to the mixer. I normally would run the cord through a power transformer before the mixer and cannot remember if I had done so on this day. The cord of course ran through several puddles of water and was wet. As I plugged it into the mixer there was a flash and a bang and I was literally thrown about fifteen feet against a wall. If the wall hadn't been there I don't know how far I would have gone.


It was a weird sensation. I had bitten my tongue so that hurt and hitting the concrete wall hurt but I also had a dull ache in my chest and arms. I checked myself thoroughly but had no burns or puncture marks so I don't know where the electricity went. Maybe it stayed inside me.


My feet are so tired
My brain is so wired
And the clouds are weepin'.

- Bob Dylan 'Lovesick'

I got a new and dry power cord making sure that it was nowhere near water, rigging up a complex system of trestles before plugging in the mixer again. After that I have always had a healthy respect for electricity. 

5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Your life has been a slow learning experience.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

All my learning is based on empirical knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Great view, good idea to extend the deck.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

"I don't know where the electricity went. Maybe it stayed inside me."

This could explain a lot. Have you tried earthing yourself to see what happens? It is quite a simple prodedure.

1. Attach a large copper strap to a6"nail and tie strap to iron sewer pipe.
2. Hammer nail through a plank of wood, and put on ground with nail pointing upwards
3. Sit down rapidly

I'm sure you'll find the experience theraputic.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Remember that time you came to my house and I made you a barbeque lunch and all you did was complain about the big black underpants on the line?
Now I can tell you...
a black flag is a local warning meaning 'this guy is carrying too much electricity and is dangerous to be near'.
The big black underpants might have saved neighbours' lives, you see I'd mislaid the flag.