Saturday 28 May 2016

WHY DO WE PUT UP WITH THIS CRAP?

Here are a few scenarios.

1. You are driving along in your car and it drops out of fourth gear, then into third gear, then second gear and lastly putters along slowly in first gear.  A warning message flashes on the console "your engine is old and needs to be upgraded"

2. You put dishes in the dishwasher and start it up. It whirrs and groans for a couple of hours before stopping with the dishes only half clean. A message on the display panel says "your dish drive is out of date. Please upgrade"

3. Your television gets stuck on TV Three with endless loops of Paul Henry. A warning message strolls across the bottom of the screen saying "Your television is out of date, please upgrade"

Would we put up with this? Hell no. We buy electrical and electronic machines to do the sort of job we paid for at the time we bought them. Sure every year newer and smarter models come out that do things quicker and maybe better but our original machine still should be doing the same job as when we bought it. Shouldn't it?

So why does my Apple computer, bought in 2008 suddenly decide to run at about the tenth of the speed as when I first bought it. I haven't loaded up any fancy programmes and still use it for the same things as when I bought it. I get messages saying that my operating system is 'unrecognised' and when I check on-line to see what I can do a host of 'helpful' websites announce that all I have to do is buy expensive upgrade programmes or, in the case of my shamefully 'old' computer - buy a new one.

Bloody arseholes. The Apple Mac I have is big screen, was expensive when we bought it and has, up until now, done an excellent job.
Reading up on this I discover that smart phones, software providers, and other computer companies all play the same game. As the products they make are generally so good then the only planned obsolescence that they can get away with without actually arranging for the things to blow up (although I wouldn't put that past them) is this little rort.



Why isn't this illegal? Is it because everyone has been duped into having to have the latest, flashest, smartest model? Where does the Consumer Guarantees Act come into this?
I should check but know that it'll take an hour or so to download.

Bastards!


8 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I bought a new phone today. The last one survived two years. Bring back though wind up ones we used to see in those old films! I I was Robert, I'd use a German word now.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

.... And a bloody Browning poem.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Furter? Is that German?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

See Robert's blog for my response to that (rather overused) funny comment.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Non German. My little german dictionary with the incredibly small font has fur=for, futter=food, futur=future.

I kind of doubt the built in obsolence scenario.
A good anti virus program like Norton should be the first consideration.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

It's not caused by a virus. It is the manufacturers deliberately making old opeating systems unsupported.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Stop fighting you two!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Go and tidy up that classroom of yours. It looks like a mess.