Sunday 22 May 2016

TWO SEASONS IN ONE YEAR ....

.... sounds a bit like the Crowded house song I know but it seems that in Northland, at least recently, this is the case.

Summer  just goes on and on with little regard for the Autumn marked on the calendars. We were swimming last week, walking around in just shorts (well The Old girl had a top on) and generally enjoying warm sunny weather. Over the last few days - bang - it has gotten colder. It's still been nice during the day but the evenings are bringing a definite chill.

Winter officially starts in just over a week.

Tonight I've just returned from taking The old Girl to the bus station for her weekly return to Auckland.
The house is cold so I've turned on an oil heater - one of those low heat steady jobs that take the chill off. If it hadn't been dark I'd have brought in some wood from my woodshed (built for me by the tenants when we were overseas) -





 - but I think I'll get up on the roof tomorrow to check the chimneys to make sure there aren't any birdnests in them.
I had the chimneys cleaned and checked last year so there won't be any problems on that score but I don't want to incinerate any of our beautiful and diverse endothermic vertebrates.

Stay warm. Stay safe.


1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Bloody cold here too.