Saturday 22 May 2010

106 STRINGS


I went to the local Folk Club last night to listen to my niece play. She is part of a new, as yet unnamed band (I suggested that they should call themselves the Soggy Bottom Girls -  but I don't think they will do that). My niece plays harp and ukulele. She is very, very good and writes her own music. The other two in the band are my niece's harp tutor and a very good fiddle and cello player. All three are great singers. They were the headline act at the folk club and were very well received (probably because there wasn't a bass player in the line-up).
Now I don't normally go to folk club performances. I usually find them a bit self-indulgent. Its amazing what a bit of family pride can do, but my niece's band really was good. The early acts - unaccompanied singer, banjo player, two guitar players and singers were frankly difficult to listen to.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pictures & Video! It didn't happen if there is no video. After all, how rude of you to brag on her wonderful music, but not give your reading public a sample. How very curmudgeonly of you. :)

Anonymous said...

Got to admit. He has a point.Though I believe you.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Some people (me included) think that life is better without some idiot going about thrusting cameras, video cameras and now cell-phone cameras into the faces of people, particularly those performing. I hate it when at a concert some moron thinks that because he wants to record something for posterity he flashes for a photograph or intrudes for a video. Fuck them I say. Some of the best memories are just that. Using that wonderful computer we all have - the brain- to record things that are worth remembering.

Anonymous said...

Excellent comeback. You set a high standard indeed for the rest of us aspiring curmudgeons. :)

Richard (of RBB) said...

Maybe I'll get to hear your niece some time soon. Is she coming to the big folk festival in October?
Why Soggy Bottom Girls? Was this some reference to them needing a double bass?

Anonymous said...

Great post!
Up there with stuff on Richard's Bass Bag 2!
Bin Hire