Saturday 1 May 2010

KAYAKING #1


Yesterday I went for a 3 hour kayak around the Bay. It was full tide, the water was like glass and it was windless and sunny. Ideal conditions for a leisurely paddle. Because the conditions were so good I went further than usual, heading right across the bay to the northernmost point where McLeod Bay starts. This was about 5km across, skirting past the small island in the middle. I then traced the shoreline all the way back to my start point which was another 9 km or so. The water was so clear I could see the bottom at about 3m or less depth and could see stingray flying like stealth bombers. They can really move fast.
On the return I paddled up the creek that runs past our rental property to check on the grounds (everything fine) and then set on back home. A lovely spaniel/beagle cross (I think) dog jumped into the creek and swam across to join me. She was very friendly and with my help climbed into the kayak. She wouldn't sit behind me in the space that my dog Rosie used to, preferring to sit in my lap instead. I took her for a short paddle out in the bay before returning her to the shore. I think I've made a friend there.

No comments: