Thursday 13 May 2010

I COULDA BEEN A...


.... TEACHER.
Yes, many years ago I went to an interview for teachers training college (Christchurch).
There was a young woman I liked (yes Richard, a real one) in my Stage II Education class (Education and Society - Jack Shalcrass was the lecturer). When she told me that she was applying to go to training college in Christchurch I thought that it would be a good idea to follow (particularly as Richard had already gone there and I didn't want him getting his grubby hands on her). As I say I went to the interview and struggled to make an impression on them. Having done 3 years of legal studies before switching to Education and History didn't suggest to them that I had the necessary vocation. They were a dour bunch those interviewers. When asked if I could give an example of what attracted me to the teaching profession I said  the holidays. They were not amused and I got that 'don't call us we'll call you' dismissal. Reading recent blog posts I realise that whilst I may have made a good teacher by helping the 'good' kids to develop I don't think that I have the necessary patience and tolerance to turn around the 'bad' kids. I admire what teachers do and feel that they are undervalued.

5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Comeinyourpants, you're too kind.
What happened to the young lady?
Let me guess, she decided to help out those less fortunate by going to a low decile school. She slogged it out for years and found comfort in sugary food. She was rewarded with a senior management position, ten extra kilos and married some Social Studies teacher with a beard and a pony tail. She juggled her time between her career and raising four kids. Now she lives for her hobbies, she's learning Spanish and working with stained glass, and her only grandchild, so far, named ChosenOne.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Man! You must be psychic. Did you know Jessica?

JESSICA said...

Curmudgeon. Who is this know-it-all? His opinionated statements remind me of someone who haunted the training school cafeteria at Ilam. That guy wore red corduroy pants, smoked like a chimney and used to have to get other people to go to the chemist to buy him some 'joes'. For his benefit I am learning Maori and my first grandchild is named Matariki. I am making stained glass and lead lights though (how did he know? There has been some scrabbling noises in the garden, do you think he has been spying on me?)

Anonymous said...

I remember Jack, and I too applied for teachers training college and was turned down. I kind of recall them saying reapply in a few years...more than a few years later, wild horses wouldn't drag me into a teaching position. Teachers earn their money.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Robert, when did you study with Jack? with me it was (I think) 1974. You weren't in my class (but then all my judgement was clouded with Jessica).