Thursday 6 May 2010

EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS


Well I can't say that I've worked 9 hours like Richard or 11.5 hours like Robert today but I have put in about 6 hours for the fundraising (writing letters, sending e-mails, chasing up sponsorship, designing advertising etc. today. I then attended a Landcare AGM from 7.30 to 9.30. I had seen a sign at the end of the road announcing it and saying 'all welcome'. I went along out of interest to see what projects that they are running in the area. It was very heartening hearing about all the things that individuals are doing in their own time to make our area more beautiful. These were: pest eradication; weed eradication; native trees and plant propagation; native bird rescue and encouragement; save the kiwi projects etc. I seem to have volunteered to help in fund raising again. I have been involved in funding contribution and support projects in the past for wetland restoration, save the kiwi and pateke initiatives by arranging for contribution from wine brands. When I mentioned this I was press-ganged into service. Maybe I can catch up to Robert's 11.5 hours yet.
One of the wonderful things about New Zealand is the community groups who unselfishly support local causes giving up their time and money to do so. If it wasn't for this then in a country with small population and relatively low taxation we would have system failure everywhere. Of course a lot of this good work is negated out by the scrotes (see earlier post) who leech off the welfare system and use all their spare time to cause mayhem and try and destroy all the good works done. Hopefully they will always remain in the minority although the people doing the good works get worn down by it. One of the community contributors, who is growing native trees in his nursery which are then planted out in the area (for the benefit of the public) reported a setback as some bastards had stolen the electronic sprinkler system. Makes you want to weep.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Might be time to call Rotary Man!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Is it a bullet? Is it a speeding train? Does it work 10 hours a day?
Does it enjoy a beer at the RSA?
No! It's Rotary Man!