Saturday 26 May 2012

GENETIC MEMORY

Genetic memory is a non-scientific concept which, amongst its many facets includes the concept that inherent in each of us is a distant connection to the past.
Scientists readily accept it in animals for example the migratory behaviour of birds, wild beasts and fish (watch Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) but are less open to it in humans.

Writing the previous post I was thinking about what draws me to the place where I live. I like it on a visceral level not just because it is beautiful.
I have always liked the sea, or, the seaside particularly the more rugged beaches and bays. I am not into surf culture so the white sand beaches don't do it for me.
In Wellington where I was born I used to like the Southern coast bays like Island Bay, Houghton Bay and Princess Bay.

HOUGHTON BAY - WELLINGTON


****************************


My forebears from my father's side came from Torridon on the Western coast of Scotland.
They and a group of others from Torridon, Annat and nearby left Scotland in the mid 1800's and sailed to Nova Scotia (on the boats that my distant family built). From Nova Scotia, after a few years they set sail for Australia where some stayed (the family farms are now underneath Tullamarine airport in Melbourne) and the rest came to New Zealand. They settled in Whangarei Heads where I now live.
I am struck by the similarities of this area - the sea, bays and topography - to the area they left in Scotland.


TORRIDON -  SCOTLAND


WHANGAREI HEADS - NEW ZEALAND


TORRIDON - SCOTLAND

WHANGAREI HEADS - NEW ZEALAND


TORRIDON - SCOTLAND


WHANGAREI HEADS - NEW ZEALAND


TORRIDON - SCOTLAND



WHANGAREI HEADS - NEW ZEALAND


TORRIDON - SCOTLAND

WHANGAREI HEADS - NEW ZEALAND



*****************************


The Settlers stayed here, some moving away only short distances to the other side of the harbour (Waipu). They lived and died here.



PIONEER CEMETERY - MCLEOD BAY WHANGAREI HEADS


MCDONALDS

 I guess they felt at ease here with many things reminding them of home and without those bastard English supported landowners driving them off their lands.

************************


There are some differences though:



SCOTTISH PICNIC


NEW ZEALAND PICNIC










4 comments:

Robert and the Catholics said...

Jung proposed a collective unconsciousness.
The theory of evolution ignores the spirit which we all have.
I think there in lies the problem with so called science... something else is at work... I call it God.

Tracey said...

Good post. I beleive that genetic memory exists - that mysterious pull that cannot be explained. I'm a direct descendant of Waipu settlers, they arrived via Nova Scotia. The museum there contains lots of my family history.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yes, an interesting po... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Scots like New Zealand 'cause most of it's cold, wet and rocky. The Scottish God hates people having fun. Or being warm.