Monday 14 May 2012

YOU ARE AN ALCOHOLIC


.....said the Old Girl when she arrived home and saw that I had been drinking whisky.
What she saw was the Macallan Select Oak bottle that she bought for me was one third empty.
OK, I admit it. I have drunk one third of a bottle of whisky..... over 5 months!
What she actually said was "Jings!" (the odd Scottish vernacular comes out at times of stress or extreme pain or pleasure making The Broons or the Scunner from Supergran positively understandable by comparison) "you've nearly finished that, are you an alcoholic?

Admittedly I was a bit shamefaced to see how the level has gone down as up North, where we have a comprehensice range of Malt Whiskies, I only ever have a tipple with her.

I then thought about it. One third of a one litre bottle is 333 mls. . The alcohol strength of this whisky is 40%. The average strength of the Chardonnay or Pinot Noir I drink is 13%. This means the alcohol equivalence, if I had been drinking wine would be one bottle .....  over 5 months! I rest my case M'lud.

4 comments:

Robert and the Catholics said...

They love to exagerate our faults, probably because we don't mention theirs!

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Oh, I feel your pain.

I cannot count the number of times my beloved has said the same to me.

I am also deeply envious in your choice of tipple. Macallan is a deeply satisfying whisky, if just a tad too subtle compared to my beloved Laphroig

Richard (of RBB) said...

I think whisky is good for the heart. I'm sure I read that somewhere.

THE WINE GUY said...

Probably on the back of a whisky bottle.