Saturday 23 June 2012

FEED ME!



I'm pissed off with all the offerings nowadays in takeaway bars.
Years ago, when I wanted Fish and Chips the menu would be:

Fish
Chips
Hot Dog (an actual saveloy cut in half and battered)
Oysters

That was it.

We were all happy.

Even when Golden Chips opened a 'chain' in Wellington in the late 60's the offerings were:

Chips
Sausage
Corn

We were all happy

With the growth of takeaway bars things got a bit more exotic and adventurous. The offerings were:

Burger
Cheese Burger
Egg Burger
Steak Burger
Combination Burger
Chips

They didn't offer fish as that was the domain of Fish and Chip shops.
We were all happy.

McDonalds opened in the late 1970's. The offerings were:

Hamburger
Cheeseburger
Big Mac
Chips

Some people were happy (the ones that didn't mind eating crap).

I don't often eat takeaways and when I do prefer a good pizza or falafel.
The other day, as I was buying a late lunch and the sandwich bars looked like the plague of locusts had descended on them, I went to Burger King.
All I wanted was a burger shot (a mini burger I had seen advertised) and a milkshake.
To get this I had to go through minutes of menu offerings from the server and refusals from me until we agreed that all I wanted was a fucking burger shot and a milk shake. No combos (combinations of crap). No soft drinks. No other burgers. No chips. Just the fucking burger shot and a milkshake (which were both bloody awful).



The menu board above the serving area looked like the trading board at the stock exchange or the periodic table (but probably with more poisonous elements).



When did life get so difficult?

One of the reasons I don't buy coffee at Starbucks (the other reason is that the product is crap) is that there is too much choice.



Once you've gone beyond:

 Espresso
Double shot Espresso
Flat White (a double shot latte)
Latte
Americano

How many other choices do you bloody well want?

Get a  life.

And feed me. Now!





3 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I always let Sue order first then say that I'll have the same.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Calm down Comeinyourpants. You're showing your age.

Tracey said...

Do you want fries with that?