Saturday 29 November 2014

A BLAST FROM THE PAST

I went to the Grey Lynn festival this afternoon.


This free event takes place in the sprawling Grey Lynn Park one of the many great public parks dotted around Auckland.

Having decided to walk rather than drive as often as I can I've discovered lots of these.

This is a really good community festival with a great many quality kiosks and stalls selling crafts, food and providing community information. I didn't see any of the bogus ones selling cheap imported junk that seem to dominate arts and crafts markets nowadays. There was a delightful '70's air to the festival and it took me back to my student days. There were even a couple of hippie house trucks that you hardly ever see nowadays.
One was home to a blacksmith who was demonstrating his craft and selling some great ornaments.



There were some unusual displays and events like:

Ukulele display

to a Scottish historical wargames demonstration



I liked a display of antique traction engines including this one:


The sign says that the engine was supplied to Levin & Co in 1920. Richard, Rob and I worked for Levin and Co at one stage.

The music was fun with again some bringing back memories. One group playing John Mayall type music reminded me of a music festival at Waikanae in 1981 where I had the sweetest kiss ever from a hippie-girl - but, that's another story.


That was Moana and The Tribe.



There was a performance from the Twisty Twins that was a lot of fun.





All in, a wonderful afternoon out in this great city.


No comments: