Saturday 15 November 2014

FACING THE GREAT UNWASHED



No, not catching up with Richard (of RBB fame), but doing an in-store tasting in a deli-supermarket.

When having a meeting with our New Zealand distributor I offered to help out with any in-market activity including consumer tastings. This was, to me, a throw away line so that I could say "see, I offered" but they took it seriously and asked me if I could help this weekend.
I said yes so stayed in town instead of going north. Good decision that as the weather is crap.
I performed my duty this afternoon - 3 hours standing next to a barrel with bottles and glasses on it, offering tastings to the shoppers.



I enjoyed it.

I sold a lot of wine employing the marketing skills that I've honed over 40 years - 30% truth and 70% bullshit.



I found that I managed to charm win-over inveigle hoodwink the women better than the men. Nearly all the people were pleasant with only a few being a bit neutral and only one grumpy old bastard. Not that I really needed to hoodwink them as the wines are bloody good and some having won trophies and gold medals are in short supply but, old habits die hard.

The owner of the deli-supermarket who had been hanging around listening to my spiel came up to me later and complimented me on my salesmanship. He told me that they'd run out of Pinot Noir and were low on other wines and he'd have to double up on his order next week.
I had to smile at this as I don't consider myself as a salesman and I'm certainly not a 'people person' as the title of this post attests to.


7 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Well done. I normally feel sorry for those people but avert my eyes in case they offer me a sample. I hate being even mildly intoxicated when driving.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"Mildly intoxicated"?
The sample given out is about 5 mls.
You'd get more of a buzz from gargling with listerine

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Down here they give us one of those cocktail glasses. When one has worked since 6.30 am they can knock you on an empty stomach.
But I could be wrong.

Tracey said...

Classy with the wine glasses. It's hard to know what a wine tastes like when they use those wee plasic cups. Wine must be in glass or crystal, tea must be in fine china, before one can contemplate the finer points. Even then, with wine, time of day, mood etc can have a huge effect on the palate, I find.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

But you haven't been on the receiving end of my charm win-over inveigle hoodwink ing marketing spiel Tracey.
I bet that a marmite , sorry, a vegemite jar would do if I told a story about the wine inside.

Angry Jesus said...

I once turned water into wine. Beat that Curmudgeon!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I turn wine into water, as in passing water.