Sunday 11 June 2017

LOST ART

The sum of civilisation is usually acknowledged in art artefacts that are unearthed or otherwise discovered,

I remember an outstanding television series The Ascent of Man written and presented by Jacob Bronowski in the late 1960s. This was seminal. For TV watchers used to the direst UK comedic crap like On The Buses or USA diatribe like - well, anything - this erudite and elegant series captivated audiences of every demographic (even the younger ones as it was 30 years before Facebook and all of the other social media shit).



Obviously there are many examples of beautifully crafted art, history, philosophy and even religious writings and film and we all have our favourites. For me one of the best example of well crafted essays were those presented on radio by Alistair Cooke with his Letters from America series. No-one to my knowledge has followed up on this when Alistair retired and died soon after. This is truly lost art.



     ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These things went through my mind last night as I was listening to the radio with The British and Irish Lions playing the Crusaders in Christchurch. Yes, you heard, I was listening to the broadcast as I did last Wednesday to the Lions vs Blues game as we don't have television in our house.

This took me back to the days of my childhood when we listened to the All Black's playing - if home games it was Saturday afternoon - if overseas games it was often the middle of the night. There was something magic about this.





Old Winston McCarthy nailed it in his commentaries and he was like the 31st player on the field. No-one could do better at the time.

Later Keith Quinn built up a reputation but he wasn't as good as Winston and wasn't he the guy who got into trouble for making the sexist comment about the grunting tennis star?

The commentators on Sports Radio try their best but it's not the same as Winston. That's also a lost art.


                                                          IT'S A GOAL







.

9 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Shouldn't it be "It's a conversion" ; soccer players score "Goals".
Just out of curiosity how would he had described that Lions kick last night that went over the right hand post?

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'm waiting on the Holy Spirit
Thumbing for a ride
Waiting for the Holy Spirit
I hear he will provide.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I don't know - he's dead.
Why don't you ask that Holy Spirit mate of yours?

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

He asked his mate the spirit,
The spirit thought and said;
A blink, and in a whisper,
To souls with merit t'will speed,
But first to those with conscience
Will ask to be with me.





Richard (of RBB) said...

I'm waiting on the Holy Spirit
Thumbing for a ride
Waiting for the Holy Spirit
I hear he will provide.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

That Holy Spirit song sort of grates after a while - like an annoying pop song without the benefit of at least, melody.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

And that crap about souls meriting and everything? Shit!
I've got a better sense of 'conscience' than any of those Paedophile priests, brothesr and archbishops and all those holier-than-thou twonks who think that attending mass on Sundays will wash away all of their transgressions during the week.

Hell! I'd rather listen to Richard's (very boring) ditty about the holy ghost.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I could play it again...

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No, please don't. I was just saying that to underscore how I felt about Robert's 'holly-roller' crap.