Tuesday 2 October 2018

HOUSE MOVING AGAIN

Not me this time thank Robert's god.

We have successfully moved my sister from the 3 bedroom house that she has lived in since the 1980s to a 1 bedroom cottage in a kind of gated community.


From this:



To this:



My sister is a bit of a hoarder and every room in the house (3 bedrooms, dining room, lounge, workroom, sunroom and garage) were filled with furniture, dolls, teddy bears and junk.

The lounge was like something out of a Stephen King horror novel

The house was in bad repair and was sold 'as is'. The new owners will do a lot of renovation before moving in. The 'new' cottage although substantially smaller was the same price and, to help cover costs and body corporate charges my other sister put in about $50k to help in the exchange. This cottage, in a really nice community setting should hold value and provide equity for my sister - something that was slipping with the old place.

Over several days we took: 4 large van loads of junk to the tip; 3 van loads to the new place; and 2 van loads to the sallie army. I got rid of many dolls and teddy bears and their accessories along with excess furniture and aforementioned junk. I was feeling a bit mean giving away the dolls and teddy bears and huge amounts of new, unopened goods like gifts, christmas decorations, toiletries etc (my sister has a compulsion to shop even though she has no money) but when we viewed all that was taken to the cottage I wish that I'd got rid of more. We'll have to do another cull sometime soon.

I managed to further injure my knee (I have an investigative operation on this next Monday) and hurt my back so it was a relief to get back home.

I'm sick and tired of house moving and hope that we don't have to do it with our house up north or Auckland apartment anytime soon.

4 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
THE CURMUDGEON said...

I haven't a clue what you are suggesting here but I am certain that you are wrong.

My sister has various physical and congenital problems that are making it difficult for her to cope. I don't see her as 'lazy' but more of someone who needs help. Hey! in another universe you could say that I'm a christian.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hope all is good with the knee. Well done with the shift.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks for that. The shift will be on-going I fear. I hope that the knee surgery is a one-off.
I hope that you guys are having a great holiday - what a marvellous place to be.
Have you found a decent chardonnay yet?
Love to Shelley.