Wednesday 31 October 2018

"OH FOOLISH HEART - SILLY THING"

Watching the curtains tremble
Time trickling away
On a bright and freezing afternoon
I remember oh so well
The sweetness in your voice
When you said I belong to you
Honey I do
You know I gotta say to myself
"O foolish heart, silly thing
You hear any old tune and you sing
You sing..."
Seasons pass...
It's so quiet, I hear the raindrops
Splashing on the leaves
Somehow it brings your face to mine
And the tapping of a branch
On my window pane
Somehow it's ravaging my sense of time
My sense of time...
I gotta say to myself
"O foolish heart, silly thing
You hear any old tune and you sing
You sing..."
I say to myself
"O foolish heart, crazy thing
You hear any old tune and you sing
You sing..."
I'd have liked to provide a link to this excellent Tom Verlaine song but it seems that Spotify has it locked up. Bill Evans of course wasn't singing on his recording of 'My Foolish Heart' so there!

This might work though:

O FOOLISH HEART - TOM VERLAINE

***************

I've had a bit of adventure over the last week. On Thursday last my foolish heart decided to shake up the rest of me and sent me into a wobble. In the morning, in the kitchen I had a short dizzy spell. I've had these before over the years so just thought - "uh, oh, here we go again" when a few seconds later - wallop - the room spun around and I felt like I was in an earthquake. My body actually felt like I was being thrown around when in reality I was at the kitchen counter holding on for dear life. Eventually I was taken to the floor - more by choice rather than running the risk of falling and hitting my head. I was extremely dizzy, sweating and nauseous which were symptoms that The Old Girl has had from an inner ear infection that causes Vertigo.


I lay on the floor for a while until the nausea threatened to become vomiting. I scrabbled my way to my feet and hung my head in the kitchen sink, vomiting while running the cold tap. I was sick and sick and sick and even drinking water was no good as I kept bringing that up. After I felt I had nothing left to donate and as lifting my head just made all the symptoms worse I sank to the floor again and lay down.

I was unable to lift my head for about 6 hours. I thought about stroke and the necessity to get help quickly so that some urgent remedial action could be done but I couldn't move. I was compos mentis enough though to run little tests on myself - moving hands, arms and legs and talking to myself to check for damage to either side of my body. All seemed OK but I couldn't lift my head without severe dizziness and vomiting and couldn't get to a phone and didn't know where my cell phone was. At about 6PM I heard my cell phone announce a text message and  managed to locate it and crawl my way to the bedroom where I'd left it. It was my neighbour asking for something. I quickly replied that I needed help and within minutes he'd arrived and called for an ambulance.

Long story short (I might write some subsequent posts about some of the episodes) I was kept in hospital until Tuesday night. I had many tests and there were two big scares which nearly resulted in them using the 'Crash Team'. The MRI confirmed stroke not vertigo but luckily there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage so I'll be able to continue writing blog posts.  Sorry about that.

I feel that I've dodged a bullet here as there were lots of sadder cases in the stroke and cardio ward where I was kept.



I've been given a whole lot of powerful meds which I'll have to take for the rest of my life (hopefully years). These are supposed to offset any further 'events'.

It's a stroke of luck really as I will now have corrective medication and the wake up call will make me change some things in my life - mainly to drink a little less wine and eat smaller portions.

Oh - and no more cakes, biscuits and ice cream which is the advice that The Old Girl has been giving me for years.


*****************



More later






No comments: