Saturday 5 September 2020

TRAINS - EPISODE 1

 I met up with Richard and Robert today at the Speights pub in Petone. Robert came with Kylie, his stepson and we had a convivial couple of pints each. Richard enjoyed his beer so much that he asked the bar manager what it was, where it came from, how many gold medals it had won and anything else he knew of its provenance. Richard is an old schoolteacher so this degree of pedantry is to be expected.

The bar manager was able to tell Richard that the beer brand originated in Dunedin, had been introduced in 1876 and had won a gold medal at an international exhibition on its first release. This was informative with the added advantage that it shut the old guy up for a while.

That was OK but, as Robert is a bit quiet on these occasions, nothing much else was said. I decided to liven up the conversation with a discussion about trains.


Actually, it was as a result of Richard saying that as he was planning to drive me back to Wellington he was only going to drink one pint of beer and me saying that I planned to take the train back that the subject of trains came up.

I said that I liked trains and always took the opportunity to travel on them when I can. It was when I regaled recounted how, when on a train, you can view the rear of commercial industries, factories and private dwellings that are much more interesting than the facades from the road that really captured Richard's attention and, several times he repeated - "and you can see the backs of buildings and people's back yards?" I knew that I was on a winner here.

I said that I'd write a series of posts on this. I'm not sure what Richard's response to this was as Robert, at the time, was banging on in my ear about religion but, given Richard's earlier enthusiasm I've decided to go ahead.

Richard kindly drove me to the Petone railway station where I missed a train by 3 minutes. This of course was to be expected as not only does Richard drive like your grandmother but takes unusual detours on the way. Fortunately the trains were leaving every half hour so I didn't have too much of a wait.

The trip into Wellington is stunning. On this stretch, from Petone to the city, there aren't any residential backyards or industry yards to look at but, on the left is a stunning view of Wellington harbour with Somes Island (Matiu) dominating.


Many people are snobbish about using trains as transport and prefer to drive their cars on boring and dangerous motorways so they miss out on views like this.

I soon arrived in Wellington, caught a bus to the corner of Lambton Quay and Willis Streets and met up with The Old Girl at her place of work.

I'm enthused now and will continue with this new series.


3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Oh dear.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks for the affectionate or friendly form of address.

I take it that you approve of my planned new series.

Richard (of RBB) said...

No.