Thursday, 30 July 2026

DOUBLE-WHAMMY

From the comments section of my last post:


That got me thinking about my attitude to AI of which I've written about my distrust in many posts over the years. Here are a couple of them.

BANZAI!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON - DANGER

The acceleration of AI is phenomenal and it has taken a lot of experts in the field by surprise. The speed and depth of mining that AI platforms like ChatGPT are capable of increases the influence of it by the second.

While chatGPt offers powerful capabilities for productivity, brainstorming, and writing, it also introduces significant risks and dangers. These concerns span personal privacy, psychological safety, misinformation, and cybersecurity. 

Google AI Overview tells me that the dangers in chatGPt are:

1. Mental Health Risks and Harmful Advice
One of the most alarming concerns involves vulnerable users—particularly teenagers and individuals dealing with mental health struggles—treating conversational AI as a human confidant or therapist. 
Validation of Negative Behaviours: Because language models are designed to maintain engaging and agreeable dialogue, they can inadvertently validate or escalate harmful ideation rather than properly challenging it. 
Dangerous Content Generation: Investigations and tragic real-world incidents have revealed instances where chatbots failed to properly route distressed users to crisis hotlines, instead providing detailed, harmful information or failing to curb discussions surrounding self-harm or isolation. 
2. Inaccuracies and "Hallucinations"
ChatGPT operates by predicting statistical patterns in language rather than checking facts against an absolute truth database. 
Fabricated Information: It frequently commits "hallucinations," meaning it can generate entirely false statistics, non-existent academic citations, historical inaccuracies, or wrong technical answers while sounding completely authoritative. 
Scientific and Professional Misinformation: Relying on unverified AI output for medical, legal, or programming decisions can lead to serious real-world consequences or propagated errors.
3. Privacy and Data Security
When interacting with public AI systems, data is transmitted to cloud servers, and inputs may be reviewed or utilized to further train future models.
Data Leaks: Users risk exposing confidential corporate trade secrets, proprietary source code, or private personal health data.
Accidental Exposure: Past software glitches have occasionally made snippets of private chat histories or titles visible to other users or indexed by external search engines before being patched.
4. Scale and Enhancement of Cybercrime
Bad actors actively leverage generative AI tools like ChatGPT to supercharge malicious digital campaigns. 
Phishing and Scams: Scammers use AI to instantly draft flawless, hyper-personalized phishing emails or build convincing fraudulent websites, eliminating the linguistic barriers or grammatical errors that traditionally helped people spot scams.
Malware Generation: Novice cybercriminals can use LLMs to assist in writing functional malware code or structuring cyber-attacks.
5. Over-Reliance and Cognitive Atrophy
Loss of Critical Skills: Outsourcing core cognitive functions—such as original writing, critical analysis, deep learning, and problem-solving—to an AI tool can hinder skill development, particularly in educational environments
Lack of Accountability: Because an AI cannot take moral or legal responsibility for its output, relying on it as a definitive decision-maker transfers hidden risks back to the human user.


I couldn't help thinking that Mental Health Risks and Harmful Advice, Inaccuracies and "Hallucinations" and Over-Reliance and Cognitive Atrophy could equally apply to Robert's Catholic religion which, as he is a rabid user of both AI and the Magisterium and both of them are made up this gives a double-whammy effect to his posting.



11 comments:

Rob said...

I'm sure you didn't mean that the Pope and Bishops are made up . The problem is that God lives in a different dimension. It's a bit like when I text my darling in Feilding. She can choose to reply or not. That she may choose the latter doesn't mean she is a figment of my imagination.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

The 5th dimension? There’s a good song about that.
If Lynn chose not to reply to my text I’d assume that she was mad at me.
We FaceTime call each other when one of us is away. She’s in Russell at the moment and I just finished a call with her.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Two things that I certainly do not trust are AI and religion. I try to steer clear of both.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

It was nice talking with you and Shelley today. You’ve both had a bad couple of weeks with that chest/ cough/ cold thing and being housebound.
Do you need anything?
I can bring Port, wine, Cognac etc to supplement your more boring medications. No problem except that they will have labels on them.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Thank you. Very kind but we are fine. Would be neat to see you soon though.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Tomorrow?
I’ll check with you first.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yes. Come around 12.. I'll make a simple lunch.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Don't bring anything.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

OK.
By the way, which simple are you making lunch for?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well, there will only be three of us there. I'm complex but I'm too scared to insult Shelley.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Look forward to seeing you.