Wednesday 21 July 2010

We live in a country community. At the end of our street, on the main road is a volunteer fire brigade. This has a siren alert system that sounds when there is an emergency to summon the volunteer force. The sound is (I guess) like a WWII air raid alarm.    There are at least three different alerts (by duration and number of stat-ups) that denote fire, road accident and medical emergency. When this goes of (it can be anytime day or night) it has the effect of sending shivers up your spine. It means, obviously, that someone is suffering in some way. Unfortunately, when the weather is bad like it is tonight, the siren usually indicates that there has been a car crash. The alarm went off not long ago. I hope that no-one has been hurt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived near a fire station in Nuova Lazio! To be honest I never quite thought of it that way. But it never failed to make my dogs howl; who would in turn set of all the other dogs in the neighbourhood.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

We can hear the sirens in school when they go of in Nuova Lazio. Like you, it sends shivers down my spine, imagining someone, somewhere close is in big trouble.

Mind you, I used to feel the same way when, as a child in Scotland, seeing a police car, blue lights flashing, siren going full blast tearing past. Going straight through some traffic lights as I stood on the pavement with my Dad. I felt frightened and a bit excited knowing that something bad was happening to someone else. Until my Dad, who was a policeman, said he knew the driver, and he was going off-shift, and had put the siren on to get back before his tea was cold.
Never felt the same after that.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Fluffy (of RBB) seems able to make more noise than the Nuova Lazio siren.