Wednesday 14 July 2010

PROCRASTINATION...


... has always been my downfall. At school I was a daydreamer, allowing my eyes to go unfocussed and letting the voice of the teacher go all fuzzy and distant so that I could drift away to somewhere much more pleasant. At University (Victoria, Wellington) I used to sit at a window in the library and stare at the beautiful harbour for hours (TSB's photo in his latest post reminded me of this). In my working career I would do the same in board meetings, seminars and conferences. Today I'm creating advertisements for the race meeting the charity I help has coming up on 24th July (all donations gratefully accepted). This involves sourcing logo's and images, writing blurb, positioning within the confines of the designated pages and generally fluffing about on the computer. Boring. All the while outside it is sunny, still, warm and beautiful. I'm going to bugger off and play some golf. The trouble is - the work will still have to be done when I get back. That's what procrastination is - deferment.

4 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

I tend to do the same when pupils ask me a question.
My eyes go unfocused, everything goes slightly fizzy and I drift away to...Islay. I really must stop drinking Laphroig before class. It doesn't give a good impression to the great unwashed.

I went to the races at Trentham once (just down the road).
Boring.
I could always predict that a horse would come first.
Where's the skill in that?

Anonymous said...

Lucky it wasn't the Hutt Park Dog Races.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Get on with your work, you lazy bugger!

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Richard (of RBB), to whom do you refer in your comment
"Get on with your work, you lazy bugger!"
I'm shocked, shocked at such intemperate language.