Friday 12 May 2017

TAKING THE PLUNGE

I mentioned a while ago that I wrote a plan for the company I work for to take on full time marketing and sales staff as the company grows.
Well, the company has had a big injection of capital and has employed a Global Sales Manager and a Global Marketing Manager.
Two full-time people doing what I've been doing part-time! What a laugh. They are young, gung-ho and 'really into' social media platforms.



Anyway it's what I planned for so yesterday I met the two incumbents and we all discussed my role going forward.



I'll be cutting down my working hours to one day a week (down from the current approx. two) and will be available for project work until that fritters out. I hope to continue the one day a week for as long as I can though - to the next century will do fine.


It might be a bit lean for the next two months but in August kind Mr English is giving me my Superannuation. This will, with the one day a week pay be nearly as much as I've been earning so going forward won't be too disastrous.

On the plus side I won't feel so obligated to work and will have more time to do things I want to - golf, walks, tennis and might even join an old blokes outdoor bowls club.
At present I block out every morning for work (8 to 12) even if there's nothing doing which sort of messes up my day. With the one day a week thing I think that I'll just pick a day - say Monday to get things done and the other 4 days will be time off.

With the project work maybe I can do the planning stuff which I like to do without having to worry about the implementation which I hate.


10 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Pleased for you. You've paid for that pension all your life. I've always wondered how much a person can earn after 65 without the tax man stealing back the superannuation? You would probably know being a business type!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

You can earn as much as you like. It just means that you have to pay tax on the earnings including the Super (of which the tax component goes up) but that's fair.
Keep working until you are 110. As a commercial cleaner you have an advantage over the rest of us as those cleaning chemicals you use daily will kind of embalm you and keep you going longer.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

What's a 'business type' (with an exclamation mark).
Aren't you a business person, taking peoples hard-earned money in exchange for a flick around with a feather duster and disguising bad smells with some aromatic chemicals?

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

No a business type just wants to make money. I'm a professional cleaner. I get down on my hands and knees. I move beds. I climb ladders. I get dirty. There are not many of us left!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"I move beds. I climb ladders. I get dirty. There are not many of us left!"

I don't know about that. Just read the rear pages of newspapers. Since the legalisation of prostitution in New Zealand this kind of activity has brought in a lot of people to a flourishing industry.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Oops, I missed the most important part of the activity you mentioned:

"I get down on my hands and knees."

Richard (of RBB) said...

On the up side, The Curmudgeon will have time to go to church now.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Actually it would make more sense to start up one of my own:

'The Church of Lapsed Catholics' - (probably bigger than the Catholic Church)
'The Church of Laughter Days Saint Emilions' - (for happy wine drinkers)
'The Roaming Catheter Church' - (For old incontinent people)
'The Angling Church' - (For the keen fishermen up north)
'The Meth Church' - (For the 'P' smokers up North)
'The Press Button Church' - (For obsessive compulsives)
'Is Salami safe?' - (For vegetarians)
'Budweiserism' (For dipsomaniacs)

There would be tax advantages which will please Robert.


'

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Talking of tax-free religions check this out:


https://youtu.be/IPZAYgovau0


(highlight and go to address)

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yeah, great video.