Tuesday 8 October 2019

MY DAY - TUESDAY



I was accepted as a member of the PROBUS club this morning. I had to stand up at the front to be inducted and to be introduced. I didn't use the Grouch Marx quote as the members are all a bit old and I'm not sure yet whether they would appreciate it. I'm the youngest member I think.

The guest speaker today was interesting - the director of Planetarium North.


He gave an excellent talk on space observation history and future predictions. Interesting.

The friend who introduced me and who is now vice-president told me that when she joined a couple of years ago the club had guest speakers who would talk about where to buy walking sticks etc. She complained at how boring it was and the executive asked her if she could do better. Never one to back away from a challenge she has organised talks from various leaders of government, industry and society. Last month was an expert on solar energy in the home. Next month will be a presentation on Antarctica. Good on you Annette. Shake the old codgers up!


**************

I missed tennis, a walk and the gym this morning because of the meeting. It's a really nice day and I'm just waiting for it to cool down a bit before I mow the lawn. Life is good today. It won't be in a billion years when the Earth is toast.



3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I was really enjoying this post but you had to spoil it with the 'toasted' thing. This is why people keep coming back to Richard's Bass Bag!*






* the original bass bagging site

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Don't panic*.
While the earth will be toast in a billion years, Earthlings will have figured out about 800 million years or more before how to get off the planet and find another one as good elsewhere in the expanding universe - kind of like selling and buying a house.




* Also, don't delude yourself about people coming back to Richard's Bass Bag. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Thanks for the warning.*



* about possible disappointment