Tuesday 22 October 2019

IT'S LIKE THE SECOND COMING


"WHERE IS HE"?


Waiting for a new post on Richard's Bass Bag is like waiting for the Second Coming.
I'm sure that even Robert's given up the religious pursuit and sits instead at his computer waiting. He's already said that his wife does - see HERE
I imagine Richard, who likes a good joke, calls to Shelley when he sees Robert coming up the drive - "SECOND'S COMING!"


The Second Coming
BY WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Yeats is one of my favourite poets.

The internet tells me that:

"The Second Coming (sometimes called the Second Advent or the Parousia) is a Christian and Islamic belief regarding the future (or past) return of Jesus after his ascension to heaven about two thousand years ago."

I guess both the Christians and the Muslims are going to have a long wait in vain.
Let's hope that Richard can deliver.*





* A little Catholic joke there.

5 comments:

THE WINE GUY said...

I'm feeling side-lined here.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Why are you guessing?
Surely to write such a powerful post you must have certainty!

THE WINE GUY said...

Yes, you're right Second Fiddle. I don't guess - I'm certain that Christians and Muslims will wait forever until the end of time (or the end of Christians and Muslims) as Jesus is never coming back.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I didn't know that Yeats was a butler. I thought he worked for a gardening shop.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Oh dear.